Why become a member? ×

Noise in the chain

Lenny B

Merry Xmas everyone

Bit of advice required - I've been doing some recording over the last few days, and I didn't previously realise the amount of noise in my chain.

I'm using pretty quality pedals, so I've been surprised at the levels coming through. The chain is;

Boss TU2, MXR Bass Octave Deluxe, MXR Bass Envelope Filter, Demeter Compulator, Danelectro Reel Echo; all powered with a Diago powerstation, and using short, decent cables.

I know that having the compressor later in the signal builds up the hiss, but I find it helps the sound following the filter+octave, and even when it's off the BOD and BEF are still surprisingly noisy.

Any tips? Anything I should try? The MXRs are quite new and I've not recorded with them before, but they're much noisier then I expected...

Thanks

Edited by Lenny B

Do you have any extra power supplies or batteres?

Try powering one pedal on a battery and everything else on a supply. See if anything changes. Then power that pedal again and do another off a battery. Is likely not due to a noisy pedal but this process will let you iron out that possibility.

Compressor near the end of a chain = bad is noise bothers you.

As mentioned. Ground noise can come from anything. Often from the fridge etc!

What kind of noise is it? Hum, buzz or hiss?

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1324856749' post='1478187']
Do you have any extra power supplies or batteres?

Try powering one pedal on a battery and everything else on a supply. See if anything changes. Then power that pedal again and do another off a battery. Is likely not due to a noisy pedal but this process will let you iron out that possibility.

Compressor near the end of a chain = bad is noise bothers you.

As mentioned. Ground noise can come from anything. Often from the fridge etc!

What kind of noise is it? Hum, buzz or hiss?
[/quote]

Thanks all - I've only the one power supply, but will try batteries and a different socket to see if that makes any difference. It's hiss more than hum, but with each pedal having a different pitch to the hiss. The surprising thing for me was the hiss present even without the compressor on - will think about adding that later, but then the filter can get a bit peaky...
Will experiment, cheers

Hiss tends to be (in my experience) to be down to cabling & power lines... My set up has 2 paths of effects. Path 1 has much more cable involved than path B, and has more hiss. I've rearranged everything and it's simply down to long lengths of cable giving more chance for interference to be picked up.

You say you are using short cables - they could be not so great quality, or, you could have one that's not great. After your battery experiment, it's worth swapping out 1 patch lead at a time to see if there is a guilty one. I doubt very much it has anything to do with the main socket etc as that would more likely be a hum than a hiss. Also worth moving the diago power supply away from the audio cables - just to ensure it isn't that. They are good units and tend to be fine in close proximity to audio leads - but I have seen not so well isolated ones!

If you use a tweeter or an amp with some kind of presence or bright filter (like an EBS) then these will always amplify hiss as it is, in essence, a high frequency. My path A off effects can be made totally silent by turning the bright filter on my preamp off...

Shep

Possible daft question - are you getting the hiss with the pedals bypassed, or just with them engaged? Just worth considering whether the hiss is coming from your bass, or alternatively if you've got power and signal cables running side by side rather than perpendicular, as well as the suggestions above...

Another thing, get the TU-2 out of your chain and see if you get any improvement. I found in my rig it dulled the tone, not just taking some high-end, just killed the sound and added hiss. I have mine on an A/B switch and my rig sounds better both with effects on and bypassed. Google "Fulltone AB switcher" and grab your tools if it sounds better without the tuner! Other people don't have this issue, but I've heard many complain about it in the same way.

[quote name='TG Flatline' timestamp='1325457006' post='1483404']
Possible daft question - are you getting the hiss with the pedals bypassed, or just with them engaged? Just worth considering whether the hiss is coming from your bass, or alternatively if you've got power and signal cables running side by side rather than perpendicular, as well as the suggestions above...

Another thing, get the TU-2 out of your chain and see if you get any improvement. I found in my rig it dulled the tone, not just taking some high-end, just killed the sound and added hiss. I have mine on an A/B switch and my rig sounds better both with effects on and bypassed. Google "Fulltone AB switcher" and grab your tools if it sounds better without the tuner! Other people don't have this issue, but I've heard many complain about it in the same way.
[/quote]

It will be easy to test this - remove the TU2 and see what happens