Why become a member? ×

Jazz where to begin??

Jimelliottbassist

Buy a copy of Jazzwise or Jazztimes, follow the reviews/articles/adverts/websites and get onto Spotify to put some names in.

Miles Davis: Kind of Blue, Workin', Steamin', Cookin', Relaxin', Miles Ahead, Birth Of The Cool, Nerfertiti, Miles Smiles, Sketches of Spain, Porgy & Bess
John Coltrane: Blue Train, A Love Supreme, Giant Steps
Sonny Rollins: [color="#ff0000"]Saxophone[/color] [color="#ff0000"]Collosus[/color], Tenor Madness
Duke Ellington: almost anything
Count Basie: The Atomic Mr. Basie
Wynton Marsalis: Standard Time, Live At Blues Alley, Citi Movement
Chris Potter: Gratitude
Joe Lovano: Landmarks
Dave Holland: Anything
Marc Johnson: Bass Desires
Chick Corea: Trio Music

That'll keep you entertained for a few days ;)

Firstly, get yourself a copy of the realbook, has loads of jazz standards in: [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Real-Book-Bass-Clef-Books/dp/184609478X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1324842124&sr=8-1"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Real-Book-Bass-Clef-Books/dp/184609478X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1324842124&sr=8-1[/url]

Secondly the four albums I told a mate to listen to, who hadn't really given jazz a chance were:
Miles Davis: Kind of Blue
John Coltrane: Giant Steps
Charles Mingus: Mingus Ah Um
Bill Evans: Waltz for Debby
they should be a good starting point for further exploration, although of course everyone will give their own selection :)

Thirdly, check out some youtube lessons about walking basslines. BC resident Scott Devine has a great selection if you search for him on youtube, he's also got a new website.

Lastly, find an open jam session if you can. Throw yourself in at the deep end if you're brave enough. Many songs are just a 12-bar blues e.g. All Blues, Mr PC, Watermelon Man. When I did the same, at the jam night I went to in Bristol I always requested songs that were essentially a 12 bar.

Jim

You may want to check out this thread, which I started some time ago - looking for a steer from fellow BC'ers on some good jazz albums for a non jazzer. I've subsequently bought a few, and there are some good recommendations in there, particularly the Herbie Hancock stuff and Sony Rollins, which I picked up cheap online.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/98426-good-jazz/page__fromsearch__1"]http://basschat.co.u...__fromsearch__1[/url]

And don't forget - Jazz is for life, not just for Christmas!

A

Might be worth your while checking out some of the Jamey Aebersold Playalongs from Jazzwise. Great CD & book packages that cover a lot of ground where "the standards" are concerned.

Another avenue for learning walking bass lines would be the first two Ed Friedland books "Building Walking Bass Lines" & "Expanding Walking Bass Lines".

[quote name='louisthebass' timestamp='1324846649' post='1478111']
Might be worth your while checking out some of the Jamey Aebersold Playalongs from Jazzwise. Great CD & book packages that cover a lot of ground where "the standards" are concerned.

Another avenue for learning walking bass lines would be the first two Ed Friedland books "Building Walking Bass Lines" & "Expanding Walking Bass Lines".
[/quote]

+1 on the Abersold books, particulary helpful to a beginner is their 'Maiden Voyage' book & CD, which will get you looking at 12-bar jazz blues, modal blues, Latin, etc. Next, 'Approaching the Standards, vol. 1' Very good stuff, and good prices, too.

I'd politely disagree with a lot of these, they're just a tad advanced for a beginner although are great to listen to. To get into jazz you've got to know your standards - not all of them of course but their form and how jazz evolves from them. Get to know the 12, 16 and 32 bar forms. Get that sorted and you can see how Miles, Coltrane et al are so different and yet you can compare and contrast with the standard form. Rather than Bill Evans (a great fave of mine) listen to anything by Oscar Peterson. Almost all of his stuff is based on the standard form and you will hear him play the tune and then go off into improvisations. Most of the time he will have Ray Brown with him on bass and you will hear his great walking lines - I agree with Jake there!

Now don't laugh, but I can go far back to when My Fair Lady came out. All the tunes were quite catchy and easy to get in your head. Soon after Andre Previn brought out a jazz version LP of all the tunes. He was on piano with Shelly Mann on drums and the very under-rated Leroy Vinegar on bass. Leroy is one of the very best walkers and that LP taught me how to improvise on a tune that I knew already and it was all I needed to get a good start on jazz bass that never left me.

Good luck, with Spotify you'll get there.

Edited by bassace

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1324892399' post='1478242']
I'd politely disagree with a lot of these, they're just a tad advanced for a beginner although are great to listen to.[/quote]

I agree with this. As well as the Ed Friedland "Building Walking Basslines" already mentioned, this book (see link below) is also great for getting you off to a good start with jazz. It comes with a cd containing the exercises, and also has some standards to play along to. You can isolate the bass if you wish, or on the other channel have just drums and piano and provide the bass lines yourself. A good investment IMO.

[url="http://www.amazon.com/Mel-Walking-Jazz-Lines-Bass/dp/0786659963"]http://www.amazon.com/Mel-Walking-Jazz-Lines-Bass/dp/0786659963[/url]