Why become a member? ×

Hofner Contemporary vs. Casady bass

Wylie

I can't decide between the Hofner (Contemporary model) Beatle bass and the Jack Casady bass, and unless I take a very long road trip, I won't get to play one before I buy. I have a good line on the Beatle bass from a dealer in the Midwest who picks out the basses at the Hofner factory and sets them up before he sells them (www.northcoastmusic.com). The Contemporary model sells for about $780, the Casady about $800.

I've looked around BC to see if they've been compared; didn't find a comparison. Can anyone who's played both give me an idea of their relative (and comparative) merits? Or let me know what you like about the one you own. I'm after a pretty fat tone (I'd probably use flats on either one) and I definitely need a lighter bass.

Thanks, and Merry Christmas to all Basschatters.

Ted

I've never played a Casady, but isn't that 34" scale?

If so then, quite apart from the obvious stuff like body shape and pickups, those are two very different beasts.

The Contemporary is a very nice bass, and it's light and well-made (or the two I've had both were, anyway), but it really is not the genuine Hofner experience. The "sustain block" changes the weight, the balance and the sound. If that isn't an issue for you, then you can deal with North Coast Music with confidence - they really do know their Hofners.

they are completely different beasts. i.e. one short scale the other long scale. the QC is really bad on the epiphones. so play before buying it.
I'd recomment a höfner verythin. these are great (if you don't have a guild starfire, of course. B) )

[quote name='the_krysh' timestamp='1324762591' post='1477743']
they are completely different beasts. i.e. one short scale the other long scale. the QC is really bad on the epiphones. so play before buying it.
I'd recomment a höfner verythin. these are great (if you don't have a guild starfire, of course. B) )
[/quote]

Thanks. I knew the Hofner was a short-scale and Casady a 34" scale. Reviews on these basses are all over the map. I'm gonna have to travel to where they are, I can see that ...

[quote name='Happy Jack' timestamp='1324761499' post='1477734']
I've never played a Casady, but isn't that 34" scale?

If so then, quite apart from the obvious stuff like body shape and pickups, those are two very different beasts.

The Contemporary is a very nice bass, and it's light and well-made (or the two I've had both were, anyway), but it really is not the genuine Hofner experience. The "sustain block" changes the weight, the balance and the sound. If that isn't an issue for you, then you can deal with North Coast Music with confidence - they really do know their Hofners.
[/quote]

Thanks. A step up from the Contemporary is a big step--About $2,000. That is a lot of dinero.

I owned both. The Beatle bass was a lovely bass to look at, but wasn't the greatest to play. Plus, as you already know, it was shorter scale, and ended up looking like a toy guitar when I played it.

The JC was a totally different animal - great sounding, great to play, and a fantastic slim neck on it. Out of the two, I'd take the JC over the Hofner every day of the week, but YMMV.

[quote name='tredders' timestamp='1324765550' post='1477776']
I owned both. The Beatle bass was a lovely bass to look at, but wasn't the greatest to play. Plus, as you already know, it was shorter scale, and ended up looking like a toy guitar when I played it.

The JC was a totally different animal - great sounding, great to play, and a fantastic slim neck on it. Out of the two, I'd take the JC over the Hofner every day of the week, but YMMV.
[/quote]

Thanks tredders ... but what does YMMV stand for? :)

Just re-reading your original post. Regarding weight, the Hofner felt like it wasnt there - it was so light. However as HJ said above, they're not the best balanced basses. The JC was surprisingly heavy. I'd expected something really light (being semi acoustic), but was quite surprised by how solid it was.

[quote name='tredders' timestamp='1324767633' post='1477798']
Just re-reading your original post. Regarding weight, the Hofner felt like it wasnt there - it was so light. However as HJ said above, they're not the best balanced basses. The JC was surprisingly heavy. I'd expected something really light (being semi acoustic), but was quite surprised by how solid it was.
[/quote]

Thanks. I haven't weighed my Squier jazz, but it is heavy. Plus, my shoulder has a problem (it's old), so just about any reduction in weight will be welcome.