Why become a member? ×

Help identifying a duble bass

nipplebass

Picked this bass up a few years ago but I know absoloutly nothing about it! the only writing of any form on the bass is a worn sticker on the inside that say "in Germany" which i'd obviously assume at some point said "Made in Germany"

Any help would be much appreciated, if you need any photos of other parts of the bass just let me know and i'll get them uploaded!

Very hard to tell from those pics but the hat peg tuners make it quite old as far as I know... looks like a german factory bass, which means made by factory wood workers who would each make parts of a bass when work was slow in the factory and then bring them together to be assembled. The fact that it says 'made in Germany' suggests to me that it's less likely to be made by a bass 'maker' which would be a much finer instrument, as a maker would have left his mark on it.
I'm no expert and my observations are nothing more than moderately informed guesses. My advice would be take it to a luthier.
I have a Stuttgart Factory bass from around 1920 (looks quite similar actually) I put it up for sale in a shop in Guildford, the chap priced it at £4500 which I think was a bit too much... guess what it didn't sell. If that's what it is, with a bit of care and a good set up they can be nice players with a decent tone.

Edited by jakenewmanbass

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Mr Bassman' timestamp='1325034213' post='1479389']
Looks like the tuners have been replaced from the photo
[/quote]

Well spotted Keith. The outline and screw holes are still visible from the old machines brass(?) plate. Also D machine doesn't appear to be a good fit, but it's hard to tell from this angle.

• 3 weeks later...

With better picture that can easily be identified and valued. It is a German bass from early 20th Century, a few condition issues to consider though, has it been over varnished? They are normally varnished with a spirit varnish that never peels like this. Second question if so, why? Is the varnish hiding cracks? Check the neck in particular, it could be broken at the heel or near the head, is the neck beech or maple?
Those basses usually have an Eb-stop, not very popular these days but common.
I'd love to see pictures of the rest!

Best wishes,
Kai

PS: Geoff, you have learned a lot about basses.... I'm really pleased to read your insightful comments!