Why become a member? ×

More Stolen gear

Oopsdabassist

[quote name='Stacker' timestamp='1324466953' post='1474466']
Shows how doss they are to sell the kit to a local muso shop!! Even most thieving scum will head off to Crack Converters or a pawn shop.

Only ever had one thing nicked and that was an HH amp head (back in the day) nicked from a weekend residency venue. There was only one guy in Edinburgh who handled hot kit openly and I popped up at his shop on the Monday after the theft and there was the amp, complete with serial number and Dymod serial number from shop of purchase. The clown had even given his real name and address to the shop-owner so the cops lifted him. I never got the amp back cos the crook owner (Boston's, anyone??) said he'd bought it in good faith (right, mate!) and had paid well over the odds for it, or so his books said.Though I was a dole-mole heavy metal kid in those days I flatly refused to pay what the shylock was asking and borrowed amp heads until I got an Acoustic 330 at a good price.
[/quote]

[b]if the police arrested the thief then they should have also recovered your stolen property from the shop and restored it to you - it is not the property of the shop owner even if he did buy it in good faith[/b]

This is a great story with a happy Xmas type ending.

Yep I'll need to get a note of my serial numbers too. Have plenty of pics although they are on PC which would probably get pinched too.

Hope you can borrow a bass if needed till you get yours back. If i was nearer you could borrow one of mine mate.

All the best and have a good Xmas.

Dave

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1324467796' post='1474489']
[b]if the police arrested the thief then they should have also recovered your stolen property from the shop and restored it to you - it is not the property of the shop owner even if he did buy it in good faith[/b]
[/quote]

Well, perhaps I was a tad naiive in those days. IIRC, although the amp had been reported stolen, the cops left it up to me and the shop-owner to come to an agreement over re-imbursing him. A contributing factor to this 'laisse faire' attitude by the cops was that they were going easy on this guy cos a) he was a bit of a 'heavy' and a police informer.

I guess another thing was that I had no proof of ownership, even though I had given a description of the item and its serial number to the cops [i]before[/i] I had even gone to the hock-shop.

Edited by Stacker

[quote name='Oopsdabassist' timestamp='1324464795' post='1474419']
Make sure you have decent pics of all your gear!! ...Oh and remember to note serial numbers
[/quote]

Great cautionary post, people... get yer cameras and notebooks out!
May I also humbly suggest Smartwater? Easy to use and is an excellent deterrent:

[url="http://www.smartwater.com/Home.aspx"]http://www.smartwater.com/Home.aspx[/url]

Our local Community Police put in place a free Smartwater scheme recently which has reduced burglary in the area significantly. You get a free kit to mark all your property with, and stickers for your doors and windows. Works really well.

Edited by discreet

[quote name='Stacker' timestamp='1324468902' post='1474506'] Well, perhaps I was a tad naiive in those days. IIRC, although the amp had been reported stolen, the cops left it up to me and the shop-owner to come to an agreement over re-imbursing him. A contributing factor to this 'laisse faire' attitude by the cops was that they were going easy on this guy cos a) he was a bit of a 'heavy' and a police informer.
I guess another thing was that I had no proof of ownership, even though I had given a description of the item and its serial number to the cops [i]before[/i] I had even gone to the hock-shop. [/quote]

If that had been my stuff I would have probably put in a complaint. I mean seriously, people spend thousands of pounds on stolen cars, thousands. And they don't just get to keep them because they bought it in good faith. I guess they probably thought it was just some spotty kid, what's he going to do?

Edited by EdwardHimself

[quote name='Stacker' timestamp='1324470193' post='1474540']
UV writing in the cavities, as well.

Were the guys known to the OP?
[/quote]

Not to me no, but well known to police, def a couple of low life habitual housebreakers, it seems it was just our turn :angry:
Luckily I still have my 5 string, which they abandoned in the garden, and an old Squier PJ special, which they missed and is now getting some serious attention as I hadn't played it for years lol!

Smartwater sounds a great idea. gonna get me some :)