Why become a member? ×

Ibanez EDB600 - light or heavy?

Paul S

These crop up from time to time - one on eBay at the moment - and they seem quite appealing, good range of sounds, nice skinny neck etc. But using both Google and the search function on here I have read conflicting things about their weight. Luthite is said to be a lightweight composite material, but I have also read that these basses are heavy compared to wood. Which is it? I think there are a few former/current owners on here that would know.

Ta muchly!

Paul

I liked mine.
Unfortunately, the body cracked. I'd say it was on the light side of middling, but I never got around to weighing it.
Balance and Ergo(dyne)nomics are good, which is often better than a lighter body any way. Try to see if it suits and I'd say buy with confidence if it's in good nick.
Good strings help (as with all basses) I had DR Fatbeams on mine to good effect.

Thanks for that. Your endorsements were popping up everywhere I looked so I guess you are a fan. For me it is as much weight as how comfy it is - my particular brand of lumbar problem seems exacerbated by wearing heavy basses, no matter how comfy they are. I'll see if one crops up more locally so I can give it a whirl.

ta.

I don't know the EDB600 but I have got a (luthite) EDC715 (five-string), which is not heavy IMO, and very comfortable because of the body shape.

I have no scales so can't measure with any accuracy, but it's maybe a little heavier than my Yamaha BBN5 (five-string) and definitely lighter than my Vox Standard (four-string).

Hope this helps.

Thanks again. Just need someone with some scales to make an empirical post and we are finished!

Yes, John - it would be interesting to know. Ditto my SGC Nanyo bass Collection and Fender Precision Lyte, both of which are stupidly lightweight yet still made of wood.

One on eBay finishes in a couple of days - keeping my eyes on it.