Why become a member? ×

Kubicki Key Factor - Traded Pending etc

molan

NOW TRADED PENDING FINAL EXCHANGE :)

This is a really nice, and very rare, tobacco sunburst Kubicki Key Factor 4. It was one of the very first to be made by Philip Kubicki at his custom shop in Santa Barbara in the USA. It was made in 1994 & is serial number 11. This bass was reviewed by a couple of guitar magazines and I still have a perfect condition copy of the review from Guitar mag in the UK (they gave it a great review!).

I've owned it since then and it cost me about £1,200 but I thought it was worth every penny and stuffed every other bass I tried at the time - including some that were a fair bit more expensive.

The best things about these basses are that they are so flexible in terms of sound options, really light weight and easy to play, only about 7.5 lbs. This means they are are great for live work, especially if you play in a functions or covers band. Basic sound options at the flick of a 6 way rotary switch are:

[1] Standby - completely mutes the output so you leave it on stage without causing nasty feedback, especially useful if your amp doesn't have a mute option
[2] Active, flat response - 18V bass/treble EQ boost activated
[3] Active, mid-scoop - This setting is really cool. It creates a really deep tone without being too boomy, great for solos or heavier rock stuff
[4] Passive, flat (EQ knob disabled) - very useful "everyday" setting, quite "Jazz" like sound which is impressive for a pair of humbuckers
[5] Passive, mid-cut - another useful sound, bit punchier than position 4
[6] Passive, hi-cut - A bit of a "Precision" tone to compliment the "Jazz" of position 4

The twin concentric pots control the active bass & treble boost circuits and the individual pickup volumes given even more tonal options.

The body is soft maple, fingerboard a really nice rosewood, and the neck is a very slim hard rock maple. It hangs beautifully and is really nicely sculpted so it's very comfortable to play for long periods. I used to be in a functions band that played really long sets and this bass was quite simply the most comfortable to work with for extended periods. Despite the light weight and thin neck it has a really punchy tone in every setting, almost impossible to get a bad sound of it!

It has a few minor surface dings but nothing really bad. I'll throw in the nice Hiscox Liteflight case in as well.

The pics hopefully highlight the nice tobacco sunburst colour. A couple of them have a lot of sun reflection on them (I'm really not a pro photographer!). Probably the best pic to see the finish closely is the third one which is just the body of the bass itself.

Also found the magazine review so have added a couple of shots of that as well.

Edited by molan

[quote name='Dillsfretless' post='166069' date='Mar 29 2008, 07:56 PM']Interesting Bass. always liked them since Stu Hamm first played one. Unfortunately I'm a 5 string guy.[/quote]

I've tried the Fender Urge version of the Kubicki that Stu Hamm "inspired" - I have to say that I thought the Kubicki was a much nicer instrument and better finished (definitely the earlier ones anyway!).

There are some 5 string Factors out there but they are pretty rare.

[quote name='Dillsfretless' post='166069' date='Mar 29 2008, 07:56 PM']Interesting Bass. always liked them since Stu Hamm first played one. Unfortunately I'm a 5 string guy.[/quote]

Although it should perhaps be noted that Stu played the Ex-Factor basses that tuned from the bridge and had the 36 piece neck. I still miss my old Ex-Factor on the occasion. These Key Factors are indeed cracking basses.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='166144' date='Mar 29 2008, 10:12 PM']Although it should perhaps be noted that Stu played the Ex-Factor basses that tuned from the bridge and had the 36 piece neck. I still miss my old Ex-Factor on the occasion. These Key Factors are indeed cracking basses.[/quote]

I did try out a "regular" Factor at the time the Key Factor came out. The Factor and just felt more "right" to me at the time, not a lot to choose between them although my Key had obviously been set up for magazine reviews so was was probably a little more looked after than the Factor. The Factor was a very plain black so that might have influenced me a bit as well, :)

Just for reference - the last set up on mine was carried out by Martin Peterson at the Gallery so it's been well sorted since new.

Having left this sitting in the case for about 3 years I took it out to play when I needed to get some up to date pics - I'd forgotten how much fun it was!

May drag the old girl to rehearsals this week :brow:

• 1 month later...

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='214796' date='Jun 8 2008, 11:04 AM']Did this ever sell?[/quote]

It moved to the rehearsal rooms, lol.

Because it's so light and has a really slim neck it's great for long rehearsal sessions!

However the Lakland is destined to become the new "everyday" bass so the Kubicki will be home again soon.

• 5 months later...

Back up for sale at £600 and I'll chuck in a complete set up as part of the deal prior to sale :)

Currently residing in Central London right round the corner from Denmark Street - and about half the price they'd charge as well!

Edited by molan

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry - based on messages I don't think I've been very clear on possible trade options.

I'd only be interested in trading for something that would be easy to sell onwards at some time in the future. Obvious choices being Fender Jazz or Precision.

With the market in general being as dead as a very dead thing indeed I just thought about maybe trading short term for something that I'd keep for a while & then sell if/when the market recovers a little :)

• 1 year later...

[url="http://simulationpretimmobilier.net"]Simulation pret immobilier[/url]

I've tried the Fender Urge version of the Kubicki that Stu Hamm "inspired" - I have to say that I thought the Kubicki was a much nicer instrument and better finished (definitely the earlier ones anyway!).