Why become a member? ×

Sound quality from iPad&irig

RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE

Okay , I got myself a new iPad .also a new irig.
I downloaded a few apps.
When I plugged irig into the iPad , the sound was not very loud.(admittedly , I only played the bass through the 1amp provided and never downloaded the bass amp yet.)

Questions and set up: currently I play my bass through pod farm and a pair of studio monitors.
I tried plugging the irig into the line6 ux1 box which leads To the monitors.
The sound was barely audible.
I then tried the iPad into my hi fi and that seemed okay. So , do I sell the studio monitors? Or is there something I could do instead? I haven't tried GarageBand yet.

Please help

Cheers

Just looked at the preferences on the irig. (setup /level in/level out)

The volume is a tad better. I am getting feedback . Now another (silly ) question:
If I purchase the Bass head from amplitube, will the feedback disappear?
What seems to be happining(in a nutshell), is that the lead amp on the irig is acting like an ordinary guitar amp.
If it was not a virtual amp ,it would blow up.

Please could you advise

Hi Ray,
My experience was that both irig and Amplitube suck. I invested in an Apogee jam which is in a different world quality wise. Garageband was much better than Amplitube but the best bass app IMHO is pocket Gallien Kruger.
I don't think I ever managed to get anything approaching decent out of the irig / amplitube combination.

I'll echo the above about using the GK app over Amplitube, and i too perfer GarageBand over it as well. I find i get a better signal to noise ratio and a smaller latency.

Im on my second iRig adaptor. The first one i had lasted 30mins before i sent it back. I was shock at how bad it sounded. I dont think there was anything wrong with it as the second one (brought about 6 months later) seemed OT sound the same, but after a bit of work i settled with it.

I recently got the Apogee Jam and found the quality to be impressive using it with Garageband - I've only just started using it so haven't explored it properly but did a couple of recordings for another thread here (blue bossa improv) that may give you an idea...I was monitoring through headphones and was pleased with the ease of use and the sound quality.

One more vote for Apogee here, I have a lot of friends in music production and session work and they all swear by Apogee. I used one for ages and when the new mac and ipad finally get here I will be buying apogee all the way. Best friend had an irig on his iphone and it was useless, went in the bin.

Xmas update ! Got some leads from Maplin. Setup will be:iPad , irig, studio monitors. Briefly plugged irig into pad,
and played the Korg Kaossilator which sounded great. Will try bass later. If Gk app sounds ok, I will download full version.
Will let you know how it goes.
Merry Christmas

Okay.. Got a little worried when a I connected bass to irig. I had to
Go to amplitude app to confirm I was using loudspeakers. The Kaossilator was working but the guitar output wasn't.
It's all sorted now.

Played my steinberger through the gk free app. It was okay but noisy.
I then went into amplitude , and despite playing through a Marshall stack , there was not as much noise as the gk app.
I switched the amp off. However, when doing this , there was still sound. !?!

I then went to GarageBand. That was good, but there are no bass amps available!
If I could buy one, I would. A bit ignorant from apple.
I may purchase the bass amp from amplitude .There is only one.

It amazes me that, despite the products telling us to "plug your guitar or bass" , the bass is overlooked.

Anyway, the pod farm has to stay with the mac mini, now moved to the living room.
I am pleased at the results of the irig so far.

I believe line6 will release the equivalent of podfarm in2012 and that will probably be best for us bass players.

Edited by RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE