Why become a member? ×

GK MB series vs 700RB?

Reverend

Hello!

So I have a setup which I love and have been using for a while, and at the heart of it is a 700RB mk1. I use it to drive a GK 210 RBH cab and GK 115 NEO cab, and it's great.

Now I've joined a band that doesn't have a van, I can't currently get my rig to the venues and so it would at least be great to be able to take my own amp head with me on public transport. Still the 700RB is a bit heavy for this, so it looks like it is lightweight amp time!

The MB series looks perfect. Question is, will I find them lacking in comparison to my 700RB? I do use the 'Boost' effect a little on the 700RB and it looks like these amps have this feature. I don't ever use tweeters, so I don't use the bi-amp features on the 700RB. I have a lot of faith in the GK pre amp section, so I can't imagine that this would sound much different. Guess it's all down to their class D power amplifiers! Are they good? I'd love to go GK again, as the EQ is SO good.

Also, opinions on the MB Fusion would be appreciated. I don't really need a tube pre amp, as I pretty much always run my bass through an EBS Valve Drive pre amp anyway.

Would be so cool to rock up to a venue with just my jazz bass, a teeny but powerful amp head and my EBS preamp.

Ta!

I've never used the "old school" GK gear, only their MB series but it has blown me away. They seem to have the GK growl and bite just like their bigger amps (based on recordings of bassists using the big stuff!) but I can't really compare accurately. All I know is they are clean and clear when you want and gnarly and dirty when you want that instead :)

Yep, a recent covert to GK MB500. Never had a GK before, but love the Duff McKagan "grind", which is right for my punk band. So went ahead and bought it, love it, fits in my gig-box with all my leads. Very portable, and is amazing in both sound and volume.

I read up on Talkbass about this, and someone on there stated that they thought the MB Fusion was the least GK sounding amp that GK have ever produced - they did state it was a good amp, just not as GK-sounding as expected.

Got to try out the MB500 today, and I must say I was totally blown away with what a great product it is! First thing's first, I bought a Mono M80 gig bag today, and it fits in the gig bag.

Yes, you heard, it FITS IN THE GIG BAG.

AN AMP!

A 500W AMP!

IN A GIG BAG!

That just blows my mind. Anyway, I was also very impressed indeed with the sound of the MB500. Seemed to sound like a sweeter version of my 700RB, and I think they may have worked on the distortion circuitry since the 700RB, as to my ears it sounded more convincing and didn't ruin the transients quite as much. Loved it. So I'm going to save and buy one. I may even sell my 700RB to finance it.

Can I just say again:

AN AMP!

IN A GIG BAG!

Wow.