Why become a member? ×

Stingray Circuit Swap

Marcus

Hi Guys,

I own an Ash / Maple 2 Band Stingray, considering dropping in an Aguilar OBP1 circuit to replace the Standard Circuit, I just have a feeling that the Aguilar circuit might be a higher quality pre-amp and i'm going to be using it with an Aguilar DB750

Couple of Questions :

Has anyone done this ? - Any thoughts ?

What is the voicing of the MM 2 band circuit ? - I know the OBP1 is 40hz & 4khz

Cheers

Mark

From memory, the MM circuit "inspired" the Aguilar (as well as the Sadowsky..designed by Alex Aguilar?), but you might need to find room for two 9V batteries? I've got the older boxed version, and its great. But I would talk to John East first, about his "early MM" circuit before reaching for the soldering iron...

BB

[quote name='BassBod' post='166014' date='Mar 29 2008, 06:22 PM']From memory, the MM circuit "inspired" the Aguilar (as well as the Sadowsky..designed by Alex Aguilar?), but you might need to find room for two 9V batteries? I've got the older boxed version, and its great. But I would talk to John East first, about his "early MM" circuit before reaching for the soldering iron...

BB[/quote]

Yes ofcourse...... I forgot about John's MM circuit - Thanks

Mark

It depends whether you want it to still sound like a Stingray. I bought an SR5 in 2003 that had an OBP3 and a Bartolini in it. I didn't like the Bart so I changed it for an SD and then a Nordstrand. It had a really nice clean sound but it wasn't an SR5 anymore. It's took me almost 5 years to track down and fit an genuine SR5 pick-up and pre-amp and then it sounded like an SR5 but I didn't like it. It was just a bit coarse, if you know what I mean, so I put the Nordstrand back in. All is now right. Before swapping out the pre-amp consider changing the pick-up.

[quote name='obbm' post='166041' date='Mar 29 2008, 07:16 PM']It depends whether you want it to still sound like a Stingray. I bought an SR5 in 2003 that had an OBP3 and a Bartolini in it. I didn't like the Bart so I changed it for an SD and then a Nordstrand. It had a really nice clean sound but it wasn't an SR5 anymore. It's took me almost 5 years to track down and fit an genuine SR5 pick-up and pre-amp and then it sounded like an SR5 but I didn't like it. It was just a bit coarse, if you know what I mean, so I put the Nordstrand back in. All is now right. Before swapping out the pre-amp consider changing the pick-up.[/quote]

That's an interesting and thought provoking perspective.....

I love the "Classic Stingray Tone" but i'm not mated to it...... If it's an improvement (to me) i'd be happy even if it sounded less like a stingray !

I was considering a Nordy pup actually, They are supposed to be close to the Pre EB Pups, I just get the idea that the Standard Circuit lacks some headroom if that's the right term ?

On another topic, i'll be contacting you for some speakon cables shortly once I get my cabs sorted !

Thanks

Mark