Why become a member? ×

Double Bass string silk colour

danweb22

Had a double bass for a couple of days now, and noticed the silk at the bridge end of the strings are different. Is this normal? The G and D are blue and the A and E are red (I think they are this way round, I am at work at the mo so can't see them!)

Does this mean they are different tensions?

Ta!

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1323511607' post='1463998']
Try putting the details in here: [url="http://www.quinnviolins.com/qv_stringidsearch.shtml"]http://www.quinnviol...gidsearch.shtml[/url]
[/quote]

Will have a look at that site when I have the bass to hand, cheers! I just thought it a bit strange to have 2 strings one colour and 2 another colour, all different colours or all the same I would of thought

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1323511245' post='1463993']
Not sure about the answet to your question but Innovation Silver Slaps have a different coloured silk for each string. What type of strings are they, steels or gut alike nylons?
[/quote]

Innovation strings have different colours at the peg end, but the whole set has matching colours at the bridge.

I've seen people (and done it myself tbh) mix brands because they like the pizz punch and sustain of steel E and A, but want something more rounded for a better bowed sound on the D and G. My first guess would be that the red strings are spirocores and the blue are superflexibles.

You should ask the shop what's on it, they ought to know. There's a lot of variety in bass strings so it's worth always knowing what you're playing, experimenting with different sets is expensive and a pain in the arse.

Edited by thisnameistaken