Why become a member? ×

Basschat double bass string exchange?

TheRev

Hi all.

There's been a lot more activity on the double bass forum recentlyly :), a lot of it about different types & brands of DB strings.

Trying out new DB strings is an expensive passtime, so I'm wondering if there would be any support for a string exchange sticky? I'm not talking about a 'strings for sale' thread, more a 'swap my Spiros for your Honeys' sort of thing.

I have a couple of string sets just hanging around and rather than try to sell them for £40 and then find another £80 to buy a new set, I'd rather swap them for a pre-played set of something a bit different to try out.

Any takers?

Dave

That's the spirit!

I have a set of Thomastic Superflexibles which came with my laminate DB, so I've no idea how old they are. They look in good nick though, and the bloke I bought the bass from ahd stopped playing due to RSI, so they're probably only just broken in. These strings are a bit too stiff for piz for my liking but great for arco. I though my arco technique was total pants until I had a go with these strings. Now I realise it's still pants, but helped by the right strings...

Also have a set of Helicore Hybrids with an orch. G. This is the standard set issued with the Eminence EUB, the orch. G helps to tame some of the nasal tones you can get on the G string with EUBs. Used for about 8 months.

I'd like to try pretty much anything :) but am particulalry interested in Innovation Honeys or Super Silvers or Spiro weichs/mittels.

[quote name='TheRev' timestamp='1323108784' post='1459430']I have a set of Thomastic Superflexibles which came with my laminate DB...These strings are a bit too stiff for piz for my liking but great for arco.[/quote]

They sort of defy their name really. I nearly sprung for a set thinking they would be easy for pizz which is all I do.

Against my nature of holding on to everything :) I have a set of Evah weichs about 8-9 months old. Played regularly but not worn out. Sell or swap.

[quote name='TPJ' timestamp='1323113749' post='1459503']
They sort of defy their name really. I nearly sprung for a set thinking they would be easy for pizz which is all I do.

Against my nature of holding on to everything :) I have a set of Evah weichs about 8-9 months old. Played regularly but not worn out. Sell or swap.
[/quote]

Might be up for trying those on my NXT, let me see what I can tempt you with :)

Edited by Mr Bassman

Great idea this! I'm not taking to the Super Silvers, want to try either Braided or Honeys or similar... the Super Silvers haven't been bowed or even gigged.

ficelles

P.s. I also have an old set of Spirocores, is that everyone's dark secret? :)

Edited by ficelles

[quote name='ficelles' timestamp='1323215622' post='1460801']
Great idea this! I'm not taking to the Super Silvers, want to try either Braided or Honeys or similar... the Super Silvers haven't been bowed or even gigged.
[/quote]

Ah I really want to try Super Silvers but I only just put Honeys on my bass yesterday - too soon to swap even by my standards.

• 2 weeks later...