Why become a member? ×

Gibson Grabber Bass USA Early Model Update Decided not to sell

ash

This is a reluctant sale and I am putting out a feeler to gauge interest, this has been my main gigging bass for the past 5 years but recently I have been using my P bass and this has been sitting in it's case for 6 months.
It's a Gibson Grabber made in the US in the 70s, its an early version as the machineheads are unbranded and the through body strings are anchored by individual ferrules rather than a single plate of metal. The body and neck have plenty of play wear and buckle rash but there are no cracks or breaks. The neck has chunky frets and it has probably had a refret at some stage. All hardware is original including the generally lost or discarded bridge cover. The original owner told me that the logo decal had worn off so he had added a period correct replacement. The serial number is stamped on the back of the headstock. The pickp and slider function perfectly and the wiring and pots appear original. The scratchplate isn't warped like many Grabbers and has no cracks. The truss rod functions properly and the neck is straight and true a fantastic bass to play. The sound is super growly, great for rock music. I have played hundreds of gigs with this beast and it has never let me down. I'm not sure what these go for but I'm looking for around £795. I am not interested in trades at the moment I need to free up some cash. As you can see it is strung with Rotosound Black Nylons but I will include some used black steel roundwounds if required. I've had enquiries about shipping abroad that's OK within EU etc. but I would prefer the sender to arrange their own courier and insurance if that's the case. Cheers!

Edited by ash

sh*t the bed! This is very similar to mine. It's my main gigging bass too. Grabbers are amazing, expect a little neck dive but it's a small price to pay for the amazing tone! I wish I had some spare cash, I'd love to have two grabbers. Don't fancy a Stingray 2eq do you?

[quote name='tangodown87' timestamp='1323251447' post='1460958']
call me an absolute 'newb' but what is neck dive just out of interest??
[/quote]

It's when the weight distribution when wearing the bass on a strap is insufficient in the direction of the body to stop the neck wanting to drift towards (or make an outright dive for) the floor. This is caused by the strap button positions relative to the entire length of the bass. A top horn that approaches the 12th fret usually prevents neck dive. Possible mitigating factors are the use of "grippy" straps (wide leather/suede/neoprene padded) or the replacement of the machine heads with lightweight varieties.

While we're at it, the neck dive on a Grabber/G-3 is easily eliminated with the right strap (for which I use a wide Levys leather one). Therefore I consider it to be a non-issue. If one wishes to use a daft slippy nylon strap with POLICE LINE - DO NOT CROSS or something equally amusing on it then that's the problem :)

• 3 months later...