Why become a member? ×

moogerfooger pedals xmas gas has hit!

0175westwood29

ok so was bored today! so i was looking around on the youtube for some effects pedals as the missus has said she might get me something for xmas, well ive been looking at ringmods for a while also looking for a good filter.

well stumbled on the moog pedals ive always thought they were really expensive, which i know some of them are but the two i was intrested in are just about in my price range! :-)

for the ring mod, id want a very subtle effect not the crazyness that these pedals can do! but i like the idea that they could go mental!

and the low pass sounds awesome! but my question on this is there anyone who uses them on a rock gig!? also i heard from a friend that the drive controls are a bit weird? anyone care to elaborate? thats all he said!

just so you know the other pedals im looking at are the ehx ring mod and the way huge ringworm. filters ive looked at the q tron, mxr and the aguilar filter twin.

andy

OK...

I own and use 5 plus some Moog control unit (EP-2 & MP-201). While they are often considered synth modules they are useful in ALL styles when you use them wisely.

Even Janek Gwizdala has the Ring Mod on his board for his jazz stuff.

Things that may help influence your decision...
1. They all have a mix control so you can add as much or as little of the 'effect' to your sound as you use. This is particularly useful with the Ring Mod and the FreqBox as you can use them to flavour your sound rather than sound mental (which they really can).

2. The 'odd drive' thing your friend mentions - Non of them are true bypass, and while I would not say the 'suck tone', they do flavour your sound a little. The drive control on the pedals are always active - so when in bypass you can still cut and boost your line gain with the drive pot. In itself this can be treated as an effect as most of them go to a subtle overdrive sound, in fact the Low Pass Filter sounds GREAT when driven hard, if you can cope with the boost in volume that comes with it.
If you are just using one or two its no issue. Running 5 like me gets a challenge as each one in turn adds to the drive of the last so its a balancing act to get them all driven nicely. The Freqbox Drive is the only one which is not always active.

3. They are not turn on and play pedals, with the exception of the Phaser you need to spend some time with them and the way they interact with other units. If you are prepared to experiment then there really are no better pedals.

4. Buy the Low Pass filter. Its amazing. And, for heavy stuff, the Phaser, on 12-stage mode after Fuzz is pure DOOM!

Any other questions etc, just ask... Or come to Nottingham and try them all out for an afternoon.

Shep

As Shep says, get the LPF (& an EP-2). I use mine for just about every style of music & is very useable in a rock situation, especially if you're wanting just bassiness coming through during the verses & opening it up on the choruses to get things rocking & so forth.
The drive on the LPF can be kept down pretty low if you don't want drive on your sound, but for rock, why not? :)
I also have a Bass Murf which I love to bits (& it's true bypass with a level adjust for the drive to keep it in check), but I would try one before considering it as it may not be your thing. It is a very unique pedal.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1323041919' post='1458702']
As Shep says, get the LPF (& an EP-2). I use mine for just about every style of music & is very useable in a rock situation, especially if you're wanting just bassiness coming through during the verses & opening it up on the choruses to get things rocking & so forth.
The drive on the LPF can be kept down pretty low if you don't want drive on your sound, but for rock, why not? :)

[/quote]

liking the sound of that! as an idea.

the reason i was asking bout the drive is i use a boss odb-3, swollen pickle and a metal muff for the dirt so if i can and the input into the pedals can really make the pickle go nuts! and the boss doesnt need anymore gain!

where would you put the lpf and ring mod in the chain?

atm i go from the bass into my oc-3--swollen pickle--odb-3--ls-2(with a ehx muff in the loop for blending)--my ehx memoryboy

but thats gonna change in the new year hopefully as im getting some more pedals so it'll be this

bass--oc-3--wah wah--swollen pickle--odb-3--ls-2(same deal as before)--nova modulator--nova repeater

andy

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1323107899' post='1459418']
I stick my LPF 2nd last in the chain so I can roll off the top end & all the dirt as I wish. Like I said, the Drive can be kept to a minimum.
[/quote]

yeh the drive doesnt really bother me now so thats good.

ok sounds fair would you put the ring mod and lpf before the delay and mod effects?

oh and i may have to take you up on that offer shep!

andy

I used to run the LPF after all dirt with just chorus, phaser and delay after. After months of playing around I've settled on it being 2nd last as well with only the delay after. Thi is because the phaser and chorus have lots of drive which helps the LPF sound 'fatter'.

My ring mod has been moved all over the place. It's an interesting effect and is like the Swiss army knife of pedals. I always run it after dirt as the compressed distorted signal with lots of harmonic gives the ring mod more frequencies to effect and makes it sound much more complex. It put it before my modulation now as it just sounds sweeter to me.

As for the trip over, Anytime dude!