Why become a member? ×

WITHDRAWN

Skezza

Until recently I was using a Boss GT6B effects processor. I did not use not use the preamps at all and just had the pedals set for

compressor
delay/reverb
chorus

and I used it for tunings.

I got rid of it because I found the tuner not particularly accurate.

So now I am using a boss BCB 30 3 pedal case with a TU 2 Tuner

what I would like to do is add a compressor and a flanger or chorus pedal for a compact portable effects rig

The question is can I use guitar pedals or must they be specific to bass guitar (as I have a load of guitar pedals including chorus,flange reverb delay already)

skez

Edited by Skezza

You can use guitar pedals & most often they're actually better than their bass counterparts.
The guitar pedals I use are a Boss CE-2 chorus (there's a bass version), a PSK SDS-2 Distortion & a Moog LPF (though that's really a keys thing). Bass wise, I have a Boss OC-3 (which has guitar & bass inputs) & a Moog Bass Murf.

Some guitar fx do lose bottom end (usually some gain fx), so best to try things or ask on here before buying.

Hi Skezz, all I can say is try them and see if you like it, don`t let the guitar tag put you off.
Having said that,most decent bass chorus pedals allow you to set the lower freq that the chorusing stops at to prevent your bottom end disappearing but I know many bassists who use whatever they like.

+10000 on the trying any pedal out thing. If a guitar pedal works then fine but if it doesn't it can really fcuk up your sound. The most obvious thing is not being able to handle and even sucking out low frequencies, which pretty much kills if you are a bassist. Clean blend or mix is particularly valued either within the pedal or parallel looping it. Anyway most pedals have been tried somewhere in the world on about every instrument and posted about on't interweb so that can assist in not making a complete erse of it. With the marketplace on here you can pretty much satisfy all your desires and get bass specific pedals, even better if you live close enough to try.

Edited by RichF

+1 Try before you buy. There are a lot of guitar pedals that have a high pass filter in them. Many of the Boss ones have a bass counterpart for exactly this reason. Sometimes its not that obvious at lower volumes though. I used a Boss overdrive at practices and all was good. Got to gig volume and suddenly all the bottom end disappears!