Why become a member? ×

Daisy Rocks rock.......

The Burpster

Well what an odd place for me to be in..... Lifelong 'no child zone' to stepfather in 12months.... eek.

However, 9 yr old girl was fascinated by my bass noodling, started to become curious and then was asking 'to have a go' (she does already play woodwind).....

Well to be fair a PRS strung with flats probably isnt the best place to start, and she does have small hands for her size, so for her birthday we have just got her a Daisy rock debutante.

I've heard others on here rave about these and I have even had a noodle in s shop once (and was pretty impressed), but I wasn't prepared for how good a 'made in China' bass was going to be.

TBF it has now had a 'proper' set up, and plays well out of the box, although there is always room for improvement with a sub £200 bass. I have a Schaller 4D bridge on order as the BBOT is a 2 saddle affair which is pretty rubbish but functional, and when I do this I will level the frets and put lighter gauge strings on for her little fingers.

I am however impressed by the wood, the finish and the output. It has a fascinating growl for a passive one pick up bass which we all like.

If anyone is interested, once I have done the bits I'll put some pics on, however if anyone is umming and erring over 'if this is a good idea' for a youngster for xmas...... definate YES from me.

[quote name='mart' timestamp='1322835134' post='1456449']
I turned that one around. For a while at any kind of practice I'd do a bit of the theme from "In the Night Garden". It was great - half the folks' faces would just turn white, and the other folk would just look puzzled and go "what's that?" :)
[/quote]
That was one of my daughters much "loved" requests for me to play anytime she felt like bugging me while I was house-noodling... that and bah bah black fecking sheep... which quite frankly I felt was below my talents as a serious musician. :)

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1322836355' post='1456469']
That was one of my daughters much "loved" requests for me to play anytime she felt like bugging me while I was house-noodling... that and bah bah black fecking sheep... which quite frankly I felt was below my talents as a serious musician. :)
[/quote]
I'm still working on bah bah black sheep - anybody got the tab for the middle bit?
Oh wait, this isn't talkbass, is it?

Daisy Rocks are great, although my stardust elite bass is [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Daisy-Rock-Elite-Bass-/270861119091?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item3f1094ae73"]on ebay[/url] at the moment as I have too many basses and not enough room or money. :) I'm kind of hoping it won't sell though. My daughters also have three daisy rocks between them - another bass the same as mine a pink daisy electric and a lilac wildwood acoustic guitar.