Why become a member? ×

Ampeg advice - my first 'non combo'

Walker

Wondered if anyone can help, just bought my first non-combo amp, an Ampeg Micro VR and two SVT 2x10's. Picking it up next week :)

Just wondered, what is the sensible max speak cable length from head to cabs? And is speaker cable different to my instrument cables?

Seperates are a little alien to me!

Cheers
Chris

For this, I`d contact our very own obbm, who makes the most amazing quality speaker cables, at very good prices. If anyone can offer advice, Dave should be able to. Hopefully he`ll be along soon in this post, if not, his actual site link is below:

[url="http://www.bassic-bits.co.uk/"]http://www.bassic-bits.co.uk/[/url]

Congrats on the new set-up, btw. I had one of the matching cabs and it was great.

Edited by Lozz196

2mtrs max in lenght, 1.5mtr is ideal.

You using speakons..??? and does your amp have 2 speakon outs..or do you have to daisy chain through the cabs..??
Not sure if the cabs have 2 speakons to allow for this so you might have to go 1 spk-spk and 1 jack-spk

The two spk outs on the Amp head would solve this admirably so you could go with 2 spk cables for the cabs if that allowed it..

[quote name='Walker' timestamp='1321808458' post='1443272']
....Just wondered, what is the sensible max speak cable length from head to cabs? And is speaker cable different to my instrument cables?....
[/quote]
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]Speaker cables and instrument cables are very different so never mix them up.[/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][/size][/font][/color]
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial] [/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][/size][/font][/color]
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]Don't go any longer than you need but it only becomes important at stadium PA lengths. Mine vary between 0.5m and 2m.[/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][/size][/font][/color]
[size=4][font=Arial] [/font][/size][font=Arial][size=2][/size][/font]

It depends on what volume your band plays at, but JimmyM on Talkbass uses an Ampeg PF350 with two of the 210AV cabs. From what has been said on posts over there, the PF350 is essentially the same "guts" as the Micro VR, but puts out 350 watts at 4 ohms - which is what your two 210 AVs will be. The PF350 is about £280.

Unless of course you want a really big (and heavy) brother, and then the CL will be the amp for the job.

I've spent hours reading JimmyM's posts over the past few months - alway useful!

I think I would really like tubes I think. I havent had a good look at the Ampeg range yet - but on first glance the CL looks interesting. We are not a loud band and don't play to more than a couple hundred people, but our drummer does like to hits things hard!

If your bass goes through the pa, the two 210s would effectively be your on-stage volume/monitoring, so as long as the head used was powerful enough to supply on-stage volume, you should be fine. But don`t expect thundering lows from those 210s - that`s not really their game, though I suppose, as you like the Ampeg sound, you`re probably not after that anyway.

Hmm, well in that case it`s going to depend on whether the 210s provide enough lows for you. As you`ve read, JimmyM seems happy with a pair of them, but to those liking real deep bass, these may be a bit lacking. I`d give them a go with the Micro VR at a rehearsal. Get the drummer to stop for a while, crank the VR and get the guitarists to then play at the same volume. If there`s enough bass there, then with a 350/400 watt amp, should hopefully do the trick.