Why become a member? ×

Fellow Southpaws who play right handed

scalpy

[quote name='Fat Rich' timestamp='1322747814' post='1455290']
Yup, since left handed people tend to be more ambidextrous it's the right handed people that need to up their game.
[/quote]

There's a nice little irony here - the correct translation of ambidextrous (from its latin origin) is 'on the right both sides', more commonly rendered as 'right handed both sides'. No wonder I feel discriminated against! :)

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1322748503' post='1455310']
Don't get me started! The entire language is thick with it.

*pause for deep, calming breath*
[/quote]

I'm not a Romance Philology expert (although I studied Latin and ancient Greek, as well as Germanic Philology), but I seem to remember learning somewhere that many of the unfavourable connotations to anything "left" originate from the use the Church made of the concept in the Middle Ages, possibly also on the basis of previous superstitions. Can't remember the exact reason though. Enough material for another dissertation! :)

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1322750235' post='1455345']
Some info here:

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left-handedness"]http://en.wikipedia....Left-handedness[/url]

With apologies for going off topic! Will stop immediately.
[/quote]

No worries here. I can happily talk about this stuff all day, and am pretty familiar with that particular Wiki article. The danger is that we'll kick off another thread on lefthandedness - last time that happened there were tears as I recall.

Long story short - left handed people have been given a hard time since Roman times - if not before. The term 'cack handed' means exactly what you think it means, and comes from Islam (the unclean hand). The word 'sinister' is, as you say, Roman. I'll stop there but the point is made I think.

Edited by leftybassman392

Absolutely.
But to go back on topic, left-handed people are a minority: if not even they are united in creating demand for left-handed objects - because a percentage of them, happily or otherwise, manage to learn to use the right-handed version - then manufacturers won't bother catering for us properly. (The exceptions in our field being the German guitar makers I mentioned above.)

Edited by bluejay

Here's a spanner in the works - I'm completely the other way. I'm dominantly right-handed, but play leftie guitar and bass. Work that out if you can...

I guess it's because I'm using my most capable and dexterous hand (the right) to do the manipulative work on the fretboard - making runs or shaping chords, whereas my left only has to pluck strings or hold occasionally hold a plectrum. This makes me a lefty guitarist, and I simply can't do it the other way round. Shame, cos we lefties have a wretched selection of basses to choose from...

Stay groovy,

BB

[quote name='borisbrain' timestamp='1322844882' post='1456632']
Here's a spanner in the works - I'm completely the other way. I'm dominantly right-handed, but play leftie guitar and bass. Work that out if you can...

I guess it's because I'm using my most capable and dexterous hand (the right) to do the manipulative work on the fretboard - making runs or shaping chords, whereas my left only has to pluck strings or hold occasionally hold a plectrum. This makes me a lefty guitarist, and I simply can't do it the other way round. Shame, cos we lefties have a wretched selection of basses to choose from...

Stay groovy,

BB
[/quote]

There's at least one other member on the board who's the same (not me I hasten to add), but it is very unusual. It probably means you're two-handed to some degree.

Most would agree about the selection available.

I write left handed, play bass right handed. I alternate between left and right for so many tasks I'm not sure whether that makes me left or right-handed. I have no idea why I play bass/double bass right handed, but its probably for the best in terms of being able to try different basses. Beyond that I don't think it makes any difference.