Why become a member? ×

String gauge issue

LukeJackson

You probably can but, your D string will have a very tight tension, will be likely to snap, and put extra pull on your neck requiring for a truss rod adjustement.

Finally when you pluck your strings that D will feel odd, as it will be a lot tighter than the rest of them. If I were you, I'd go back to the store and get the right string for the job.

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1321436131' post='1438995']
I think the moral is, don't buy stings in dribs and drabs, get a full set at a time then there won't be any confusion. :)
[/quote]

Agree with this - I had to replace a D string on a gig once - the difference in tone and volume from the new string was so huge and so off putting I changed the rest of the strings in the break.

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1321436131' post='1438995']
I think the moral is, don't buy stings in dribs and drabs, get a full set at a time then there won't be any confusion. :)
[/quote]

Not necessarily - I recently bought a 'set' of strings which were supposed to be 100/80/65/45 but in the bag were 100/65/65/45
A packing error