Why become a member? ×

HELP!!! Have i ruined it?

pickle

hey guys and gals. So today i finally went into my music room after months of not playing due to organising a marriage. Now i dont have the radiator on in that room due to wanting to keep the room temp as stable as possible. I think by doing this i may have done a booboo. When i went in today there was a mold grown on the seats i have in the room and some of my tools have rusted, i can only assume it is from the room being damp. When i checked my bass it seemed the the action was waaaayyyyy off and the neck had quite a bad bow towards the top. i have slackend the truss rod and it seems to be a bit better and the bass is now in a different room, is there anything else i should be worried about?

What an idiot i am lol.

[quote]When i went in today there was a mold grown on the seats i have in the room and some of my tools have rusted, i can only assume it is from the room being damp. [/quote]

Bloody hell! If your room is that damp I'd be more worried about getting my walls damp coursed!! :)

There's every chance that your bass will be fine, but I'd get on the phone about that damp asap.

I had a similar problem with my bass when I moved recently, the tweak on the truss rod worked and its been fine ever since.
I've taken to having the radiator on it's lowest setting in that room, just to help control moisture issues, there's been times when I've picked up the bass and had condensation form on it just from body heat. Not a problem since having the rad on when it's cold.
also helps having a window open for a bit when weather allows as that will help circulate the air in the room.
If that doesn't work it may be worth investing in a de humidifier or a few bags of silica gel.
Good luck with the wedding and move. :)

[quote name='pickle' timestamp='1321379426' post='1438505']
yeah i know, my landlord is a idiot who wont do anything, so we are moving in the new year.
[/quote]

I had one of those idiot landlords when I lived in a basement flat in Rock Ferry. I'm glad to read that you're moving. I disregarded the advice to get out of my damp and mouldy flat a.s.a.p. and genuinely nearly died from a chest infection.

The bass I then owned still works, mind you.

[quote name='Mr H' timestamp='1321385173' post='1438602']
I had one of those idiot landlords when I lived in a basement flat in Rock Ferry. I'm glad to read that you're moving. I disregarded the advice to get out of my damp and mouldy flat a.s.a.p. and genuinely nearly died from a chest infection.

The bass I then owned still works, mind you.
[/quote]
Weird thing is is that i live in rock ferry too lmao

I had a similar issue too when I moved into uni accommodation, before I moved the fretted Corvette played beautifully and was perfectly set up. Neck was arrow straight, no buzzes or anything. It then came to my first uni bass lesson 3 weeks after I moved in (Fred Baker if anyone's interested) and he did his usual check over his pupil's instrument, new buzz which I'd commented on, and choking strings in the dusty area. Then we spotted a bow in the dusty end of the neck :) Got it sorted with a tweak on the truss rod, it took more turning than we'd have liked, and once it's resettled it could do with another quarter turn, but then it should be fine.

If it hasn't been too long, it shouldn't be an issue, I've moved out of there and into an apartment now which is a lot dryer and stable climate wise, and things seem to have settled. Best thing to do is get a dehumidifier and keep the rads on a low temperature.

Edited by goblin

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1321383019' post='1438568']
move to other room. leave for a few days, then change the truss rod. tighten=straighter (normally)
[/quote]
Exactly this.

The neck will often sort itself out with only minor tweaks needed once it's back in a room with decent temperature and humidity levels.

Damp is caused by air condensing onto surfaces. the best way by far to combat this is by proper ventalation. (that is if you have ruled out rain penetration, and rising damp, which should be simple enough)

[quote]
Condensation comes from water vapour within the building. Common sources may include cooking, bathing etc. The moisture in the air condenses on cold surfaces. Buildings with poorly insulated walls are very prone to this problem. It often causes damage similar to damp in a building and often appears in similar places. This is because it occurs in the "dead air" pockets that accumulate in both horizontal and vertical corners (i.e. out of circulating air patterns).
In the United Kingdom, condensation problems are particularly common between October and March - to the extent that this period is often referred to as the "condensation season."[sup][url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damp_(structural)#cite_note-Peter_MacDonald_Condensation-5"][size=1][color=#002bb8][6][/color][/size][/url][/sup]

[b] Identification of condensation[/b]
If it is suspected that the problem is condensation, then a room should be sealed off with a [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dehumidifier"][color=#002bb8]dehumidifier[/color][/url] left running for the recommended time and then further instrument tests made. If the dampness has disappeared, then condensation is very likely the problem.
Alternatively Humiditect cards or dataloggers (measuring air humidity, air temperature, and surface temperature) can be used as tools for diagnosing a condensation problem.[sup][url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damp_(structural)#cite_note-Peter_MacDonald_Condensation_Identification-6"][size=1][color=#002bb8][7][/color][/size][/url][/sup]
[b] Treatment[/b]

Typical remedies for condensation include increasing background heat and ventilation,[sup][url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damp_(structural)#cite_note-7"][size=1][color=#002bb8][8][/color][/size][/url][/sup] improving the insulation of cold surfaces and reducing moisture generation (e.g. by avoiding the drying of clothes indoors).
[/quote]

Edited by daz