Why become a member? ×

Problems with using 2 bass rigs at the same time?

silverfoxnik

BTW, I thought I'd throw up a photo from the 2010 London Bass Bash and from a 'charidee' event I did last summer, just to show the rig in all it's glory

[attachment=92979:B5D.jpg]
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:60613]

I think I kinda 'overpowered' the guitarist with his 15w practice combo and my 1300w, three-channel, four-cab behemoth - I have chosen to call it the B5D (Bottle's Big BadaBoom Bass rig.....of Doooom)

Ian

[quote name='silverfoxnik' timestamp='1321056321' post='1435087']

dmccombe7; I still have one of those Peavey heads and love it!
[/quote]

Yep fantastic head in its day and you can pick them up for buttons these days.
Have considered it but it was a heavy bit of kit to lug around.

Fantastic range of sounds though. Don't think any other one amp could match it in that department.

Dave

So; what's the deal with phase cancellation?

I tried out some different combinations at the weekend using the Boss Tuner as a line splitter, which worked well, and also, used the FX out on my H&K which also worked well.. That way, i could use the FX blend control to very quickly balance up the volume between the two rigs..

But I think I favour the Boss Tuner idea most as that way, there's no discernible difference in the signal going into both rigs, whereas, coming out of the back of the H&K, I'm sure there's a very, very small delay..

For some reason though, the high pass filter line out didn't work, which was a shame!

Overall, I think the biggest obstacle to getting this to work really well is the issue of phase cancellation. So what's the deal with it; is it about using different cabs, different sized drivers or is it about splitting the frequencies and how far the two rigs are apart in the room?

I'm sure one of the more educated members of the forum will be along shortly - those who understand the physics a lot better than I do! My understanding is that mis-aligned drivers suffer more from cancellation and re-inforcement the more off-axis you go. Standing waves and nulls and all that jazz - I understand the terms but not the real-world applications/benefits/problems.

I can't say I noticed when I had [i]that[/i] bass rig set up, but then I wasn't cranking it much, and I was standing right in front of it, seeing my trousers flap, and watching what was left of my hearing float off into the distance :)

Good luck with the experiments. BTW if you're in the market for a crossover, I may have one up for sale shortly - I'm getting rid of said rig and amps etc.

Ian

PS I've just bunged this up as you may be interested in it - the bassist from Clatter uses a three-way rig, with a Mesa Dual Rec and a 4x12 guitar cab for the seriously over-driven portion of her sound - quite interesting to see how she's done it :)

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6HbKRkPnpA"]Clatter Bass Rig[/url]

HTH :)

Edited by Bottle

Have you considered a simple splitter cable and 2 volume pedals? Relative levels of clean and effected signals are constantly variable then... Or re-wire a single volume pedal as a "blend", but backwards, so at one end of the pedal's travel it sends purely to the effects and at the other, purely to the clean. I reckon I'd do that!

Thanks for the YouTube link Ian; will watch that with interest tonight...

Guys; thanks for the other suggestions.. all really helpful!

I like the modified Volume pedal idea..

I haven't had time this week to do any more work on this but I'm thinking that provided I have my FX rig using different speakers to my SWR Triad - so, say a cab with 8" drivers for example - then I'll get this idea to work really well..

Nik

[quote name='Bottle' timestamp='1321368560' post='1438284']
PS I've just bunged this up as you may be interested in it - the bassist from Clatter uses a three-way rig, with a Mesa Dual Rec and a 4x12 guitar cab for the seriously over-driven portion of her sound - quite interesting to see how she's done it :)

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6HbKRkPnpA"]Clatter Bass Rig[/url]

HTH :)
[/quote]

That was really helpful Ian; that's quite a set up she's using!!

I'm going through a similar situation at the moment trying to get a 12 string sound, using a 4 string bass (splitting the signal into 2 full range and sending one through octave and chorus then into guitar combo and the other signal dry into a bass rig). I'm intrigued by those who are doing as I am and simply splitting a full range signal and sending one signal to the bass rig and the other (possibly effected) going to a guitar rig, without any issues from the guitar rig getting such a saturation of low fundamentals. Maybe it is the guitar combo I am using but as soon as I start turning up volumes above quiet house volume the guitar combo starts to fart, I'd imagine due to the full range (ie really low notes) signal going into an open backed guitar cab... not good!

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1321729146' post='1442554']
I'm going through a similar situation at the moment trying to get a 12 string sound, using a 4 string bass (splitting the signal into 2 full range and sending one through octave and chorus then into guitar combo and the other signal dry into a bass rig). I'm intrigued by those who are doing as I am and simply splitting a full range signal and sending one signal to the bass rig and the other (possibly effected) going to a guitar rig, without any issues from the guitar rig getting such a saturation of low fundamentals. Maybe it is the guitar combo I am using but as soon as I start turning up volumes above quiet house volume the guitar combo starts to fart, I'd imagine due to the full range (ie really low notes) signal going into an open backed guitar cab... not good!
[/quote]
Then you might find this interesting as well - the bassist in the previous video also uses a Waterstone 12-string bass, arranged as three courses of four strings, a standard EADG bass set and two courses of octave strings.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0oZ8PQNC00"]Waterstone 12-string[/url]

[/quote]

Could you not run a PA crossover (or if you can find a 12VDC supply for one, an in car crossover) as a HPF to take the [what in PA terms is] sub bass out of the signal? I know they're generally 19" rack, but tend to be shallow, so could perhaps even be mounted inside the open back guitar amp, especially as it'd be fit, set and forget.

Just a thought.

[/quote]

Turn the low EQ down on the guitar amp!

[quote name='silverfoxnik' timestamp='1322040566' post='1445619']
It's really interesting to hear what everyone else gets up to...creatively that is!

This could be a topic for the next SE Bass Bash...
[/quote]
Indeed! But I'm down-sizing at the moment - just moved my 1x15 on :)

I think after I've moved house I'm going for a one-cab solution - Barefaced perhaps?

Ian

[quote name='silverfoxnik' timestamp='1322066876' post='1446136']
The Barefaced Super 12 (IIRC) that Alex had in the Jam Room was fantastic!
[/quote]
Tempted....very tempted.....saw 'PantherAirsoft's bit about the Big Twin T in the DnB thread, so that and the S12 would be on my 'must listen to' list :)

GK MB500 is now up for sale, along with the 4x10, so getting rid of everyhting so far

Ian

[quote name='Bottle' timestamp='1322069417' post='1446192']
Tempted....very tempted.....saw 'PantherAirsoft's bit about the Big Twin T in the DnB thread, so that and the S12 would be on my 'must listen to' list :)

GK MB500 is now up for sale, along with the 4x10, so getting rid of everyhting so far

Ian
[/quote]
...you have been assimilated, Mr Bottle! :)