Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

HF Feedback - how to stop it

King Tut

I'm using a Trace AH200 head (Series 6 GP12) - usually into either a Nemesis 2 x 10 (horn disabled) or an Aguillar DB110.

I like quite a twangy sound so boost the high mids to achieve this - usually playing a Jazz bass.

Quite often when I turn towards the amp (even when facing away sometimes) I get a painful HF feedback. Am I just being greedy with the volume and top end or is something wrong.

I'm using compression from a pedal - but not masses of it - seems worse when using single coil pickups.

Thoughts please.

It happens with very old pickups as the windings loosen off and vibrations of the pickup (rather than metal objects around it) can be amplified. Most modern pups won't do this as they are treated with wax or resin to prevent it the winds from vibrating.
Some old pups were designed to operate like this. I remember years ago having a crappy old pup that you could actually shout into and the amp would amplify your muffled voice.

OK thanks - will check this out - the pups are floating on sponge - my main bass - the pups are from a Geddy Lee Jazz. One of the others that does it - it's a really old '75 Ibanez pup. Some good info here to work on. Interestingly it doesn't happen with my more up to date Sandberg JM4

No I don't think you should live with it KT. Neither should I. But I'm at a bit of a loss myself with this problem. put in extra foam pads - good place to start though MoonBass. Grounded the whole of the cavities with copper tape. The pickups have all been wax-potted and still I have this. The only time I don't get it is when I don't boost the treble on the bass pre-amp.
I have to say though when I turn the gain down on the amp and the master volume up I get the same volume without the squeal - but I don't get the growly sound I like either :)