Why become a member? ×

James Brown with Maceo Parker live..

bubinga5

Yeah, you hear all these modern 'vintage funk' bands banging on about loose tight feel and all that, nothing, nothing beats uber tight for me, this is absolutely groovey as hell, and they are all on the one so hard its like a pile driver of funk.

Love it to death!

Edited by 51m0n

ooooooooh, dont start me off on a JB preach-a-thon! One of my all-time heroes who had some great line ups!

Its a bit to "cabaret" what we see above - not definitive stuff.

For pure JB excitement-watch this one - the best line up he had with the bootsy on bass (& his bro catfish on guitar) from 1971.....

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnZ3TcZs1iU&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnZ3TcZs1iU&feature=related[/url]

[quote name='Pete Academy' timestamp='1320519590' post='1427972']
Thanks again Andy for posting more amazing stuff.

My only (extremely slight) bugbear with James Brown's live stuff is the tempos being much faster than the originals. Sex Machine is one of my favourite all-time tracks, but it just doesn't work for me at the live tempo.
[/quote]
...i know what you mean Pete.. some JB tracks just dont work at a faster tempo.. almost rushed through the tracks to get the gig over with....., but Cold Sweat is an exception.. imo.. it almost turns into a different track.... the highlight for me is Maceos total killer sax....

Edited by bubinga5

Great posts - I agree about the 'slooowed' down studio versions sounding better.

The JB's Anthology is a cracking double album packed full of Maceo and Fred Wesley

The original James Brown 'Funk Power 1970 A Brand New Thang' is a corking album too featuring the original JB's Line-up: Maceo, Fred, Catfish and Bootsy

Also worth checking out are the two Fred Wesley LP's - A Toot For Me, A Blow For You and Say Blow by Blow Backwards.