Why become a member? ×

Anyone play sousaphone?

thisnameistaken

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1320395909' post='1426186']
That looks like All Saints church in York, I'm surprised I haven't seen you before I live not far from there.
[/quote]
You are correct! We're out there quite a lot and have been for the last two and a bit years, the gorilla suit has only been out twice though and the rest of the band often busks without me as I can't make it that much any more.

Hey I saw you guys too! I distinctly remember wondering if the decreasing normality from left to right was deliberate or coincedental, I then thought that an OCD sufferer might have arranged you that way against your will, and then spent at least a minute imagining a rampaging OCD sufferer going around arranging people in various ways against their will.

Every single word of that is true, I'm not sure whether honesty is a good thing in this situation.

[quote name='Norris' timestamp='1320323174' post='1425258']
Is this a common theme - bass players who are ex-trombonists? <Puts hand up too>
[/quote]

I'm still a trombonist!

Like overwater#1 i'm a bass trombonist, doubling on contrabass but i'm also profecicent on Euphonium (played Euphonium for 9 years but i've focused on Bass trombone for the last 3 years and trombone in general for the last 7) and i can get by on Tuba. Takes ALOT of puff, and practise, don't expect to be playing walking sousaphone lines for a few months. I played Sousaphone in a zydeco band for a week when i was in New Orleans and in a jazzy style thing.

I practise at least an hour a day to keep up embouchure, lung strength and breathing skills. I've taken that over to bass too, but i tend to just play bass and not practise certain things though.

You'd want to be certain if you take the plunge as brass instruments hold much much less value second hand