Why become a member? ×

John Birch 4000 Bass UK NOW SOLD thanks!

ash

Here is my 70s John Birch 4000 bass it was made by John Diggins at John Birch's workshop. I traded it on this forum, It plays and sounds great and is a real looker.
Its in lovely condition and was set up by Overwater, a new one will set you back £1400, these original JB/JD ones can go for silly prices they are especially collectable in the states. This is a full scale version so slightly longer than a Rick. Sounds fantastic. Loads of knobs that give many sound options.
I'm moving house so I am considering selling stuff that I don't use much - I use my P bass for most thngs now.
Looking for £550 or make me a sensible offer. I'm not looking for trades unless you have a Moog Little Phatty. Cheers. I can email better pics if necessary. There is a case with this.
Like many Basschatters I'm having problems uploading pictures so I will try some lower resolution pics from my phone.

Edited by ash

Fnarr indeed!!! :) The 6 knobs are - volume, volume, tone, tone, master volume, coiltap (I think...one knob is a two way switch and it cuts the mid) and three way selector switch. All work as they should, for a passive bass you can get a massive selection of useable tones.

• 2 weeks later...

i cant believe this has not gone yet! a rick made by the great john diggins himself which is probably better than a real rick(let the mud slinging commence!)
it just goes to show how piss poor the market is at present. pre` financial slump i could see this fetching twice what its up for now.

[sup]It's actually fairly light - around the same as my 4001 bass at 9lbs. Soundwise you can get a lot of variation thanks to the Birch pickups and multiple controls, you can get the Ricky clank and also a great Thunderbird type tone so its great for rock, the surprise is that this can produce a mid range jazz type sound too, yep it can sound funky! Cheers for the comments it [i]really[/i] is a bargain at this price.[/sup]

[quote name='cocco' timestamp='1322408600' post='1450456']
How does it compare to your grabber? Mine is my weapon of choice, but this is rather lovely!
[/quote]

Well its not as physically unwieldy as the Grabber and has no neck dive,balance is perfect. I think the Grabber has probably nailed the Rock and Roll sound for me but obviously this has a lot more flexibility. Playability wise it is a very easy bass to get along with as the neck is so slim and shallow compared to the Gibson. If you want a unique take on a Rick this is the best out there with great lineage.