Why become a member? ×

Flamed redwood gorgeousness!

samkeen

I suppose this could also be put in the build diaries section, but I will do a proper post on there when there's more to show and tell. For now, this is just about the topwood.

Hi all,

As requested by Eubassix, I thought I'd post a couple of pictures of my custom build Stambaugh.

These were apparently taken a couple of weeks ago, with the bass in the 'cookie cutter' phase, i.e. not yet rounded and carved. Perfect to show off a stunning piece of redwood I chose from oregonwildwoods. It's from a dug up redwood, these sort of trees are rarely if ever logged anymore, so some enterprising folk are diggin up the old treestumps left by the loggers decades ago. I chose this piece as I particularly like the mix of really deep, fairly even flaming and the angled grain.

The photos don't do the hue of the wood justice, the redness and richness will really come out once it's got a finish on it. Still, it's looking pretty fine!

Hope you like them :)

Oh yeah, that's nice. I've got a real softspot for redwood, which is ironic becoulse it's the softest wood I've ever some across. I did a thinline telecaster body for a Warmoth neck I have, my first experience at building, and its redwood over brazilian mahogany. Looks stunning but boy is it a pain. I'm deliberating over what finish to put on it, currently I'm leaning towards Rustins plastic coating. Simo on the UK Guitar Builders forum did a lovely redwood bass with that finish as its apparantly very tough.
What are you finishing yours with?

[url="http://simnettguitars.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1418.0"]http://simnettguitars.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1418.0[/url]

• 3 months later...

Hi all, the bass has developed a lot since my last post, so thought I'd update the photos. The bass has just got back from the finishers and it's looking wild!

I can't recommend Chris Stambaugh highly enough - a really nice guy, ready to give advice when asked but also allowing for a total custom job, there was no extra charge to have this custom shape. Not too long now until the bass ships - can't wait!

[attachment=99764:sam1.jpg]

That is stunning, is that a lighter coloured veneer between the reedwood and the bodywood?
Like the dot markers too, are they redwood?
Are there two outputs or is it a trick of the light?
More pics please!

Edited by rubis

There's a dark coloured veneer between the redwood and the bodywood, which is the rare (sustainable) and lovely Port Orford Cedar - [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chamaecyparis_lawsoniana"]http://en.wikipedia....aris_lawsoniana[/url]

Very robust, warm and strong sound. This is Chris' dream tonewood that matched my specs - I wanted something versatile with added warmth. We discussed koa and mahogany, but as both woods can be inconsistent (although I've only had good experiences with koa), and I wanted something lightweight, this wood was a perfect choice.

You're right, there are two outputs, I'm having the Ghost piezo system fitted, and thought I'd make the bass midi capable.

Yup, redwood dot markers! A little extra expense, but worth it to tie the bass together. We had been keeping some redwood back for the pickup covers, but might now have them made of the same maple as the neck.

thanks for your questions! Here's the other pics Chris sent me:

[attachment=99768:sam.jpg] [attachment=99769:sam2.jpg]