Why become a member? ×

Small practice amp/combo recommendations.

Count Bassy

As per my other post on drum machines, I've broken my vow of silence, so the pent up questions of the last 3 months are all coming together!

My trusty old Marshall B65 practice amp has given up which means I can look around for something else with a clear conscience, especially as I am now rehearsing with a band again.

I'm looking for something lightweight and portable, which would need to do practices and possibly smaller/quieter gigs (with extension cab if required).

Things that spring to mind are:

Ibanez Promethean P5110 at £450 ish

Ibanez Promethean P5210 at £670 ish Probably abit outside my range

Roland Cube 100 £325 ish. Discontinued, but still available

Roland Cube 120XL £440 ish (worth the extra over the Cube 100??)

[b] [size=4]TC Electronic BG500 210 £580 ish (the TC COMBO 450 is just too expensive)[/size][/b]

I am an amateur and always will be, and am an OK player, but not spectacularly good, so I've got keep it real in terms of cost. For this reason I naturally lean towards the single speaker Promethean or one of the Roland cubes, and second hand is always an attractive option. Sound wise I tend to go for 'middy', but like a rich bass on occasions. I don't slap so probably don't need Hi-Fi treble response, and I generally have the treble tailing off a bit. MY main rig is a Marshall DBS7400 into a Musicman HD212 (2 x 12" + 1 x 8"), which I like the sound of very much.

Any opinions on the above, or other suggestions, would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Clive

I have a TC Electronic BG500 115 combo and really like it. Everything is user friendly and the presets are handy. Very versatile from valvey grungeness to mellow warmth.
Also have a little Cube 20XL which is a different sort of stonking - brilliant little bit of kit.