Why become a member? ×

Because 4 strings is decadence

Alfie

As roughly half of my band's gigs are acoustic I decided I wanted a bass specifically for these sets. I don't especially like double bass, nor do I have the room for one and I've always found acoustic basses to be a bit dull, so I commissioned a cigar-box style bass from [url="http://www.chickenbonejohn.com/index.htm"]Chickenbone John[/url].

I wanted an instrument that looked like it had been cobbled together from odds and ends, different knobs and tuners, that sort of thing. I also wanted it to be normal scale and 3 string (because the only G-string I like is between my buttocks). John rustled up a rough sawn box and I provided a label that appealed to my Italian heritage and the American slant of the band.

The end result I am very happy with. Obviously there is the neck pickup, which is nice and beefy, there is also a piezo pickup. Acoustically the bass is loud enough for around the camp fire put needs to be amplified for gigs. I have gigged it a few times now and it always arouses comment, people are also surprised by how bassy it is.

The downsides are that intonation is a bugger and the neck is like a tree trunk with an action so high that the strings need warning lights to alert low-flying aircraft. Therefore I have to keep things simple when playing (suits me) and not go too far from whichever fret I decide to have in tune.

Since getting this bass I have ironically started writing more bass lines that involve the G string, leading to a very confused variety of bass-face during gigs.

I have also decided that I also fundamentally dislike the D string, so next up a two-string bass.

Yeah, playing it can be a challenge, especially walking bass lines. I have got used to the idiosyncratic tuning, I just play louder to drown everyone else out. Being in tune is also decadent.

Photographers absolutely love it. I was playing a charity gig in the summer and a photographer from the Oxford Times beckoned me over to stand next to a guy in a wheelchair for a publicity shot, on the other side was a man holding a burnt sausage on a stick. That is probably the closest I will get to being famous.