Why become a member? ×

Precision neck profiles,clue me up.

Monckyman

So.. I`m putting in serious time on my Hohner 83 Precision and getting cramp and aches along the lefty pinky.
Doesn`t happen with my Vox.
Doesn`t happen with my MIM Jazzes.
I know the P neck is 42mm to the J 38mm but I think it`s more the profile.
I tried a couple of early 80s MIJ Ps last week and they felt the same, no better.
So please tell me what profiles for a P are out there, and how do Jazz friendly hands get with the P.
Jazz neck on a P bod?
Ta.

Edited by Monckyman

I've never been one for sussing out profiles and measurements, and couldn't tell the difference between them all - just know when it feels 'nice' - but I think a J neck on a P is a great combo. My trusy old Squier P-Special has exactly that, and 14 years on I keep coming back to it because it plays great.

Why not measure up your neck pocket, and try to pick up a cheap-ish J neck off the 'bay? Never know until you try!

Scratch that, just seen the basses in your sig - have you tried one of your Fender necks on the Hohner body to see if they fit ok? Might be a quick easy way of seeing if it works for you!

How about trying a Westone Thunder bass? They have a decent P-bass sound, similar simplicity with a single split coil pup (well some of them anyway) and the 1A gives you a simple active EQ. Necks are absolutely superb - as good as anything I have owned or tried - 40mm at the neck and, for a fellow skinny neck lover, extremely comfortable.

I have the Thunder Jet, which was passive. Added a J. East P-retro, Kent Armstrong pup and am absolutely loving it.

Edited by Paul S

Hi Paul.
Ta for the input.
I`ve looked at Westones in the past and I think they`re ok, but I`m a Fender whore now and would prefer a Fender alternative.
I played my Vox Standard for 12 years with no hand problems but I was a lot younger then so who knows.
It`s too heavy to gig with now, though sounds superb.
I`m going for J neck on P body I reckon.
Regards,
MM

Hi,

Just some food for thought here. Could it be that you are using a slightly different technique when using your Hohner bass ? The fact that this only happens with this bass, lends me to think that technique may be a factor. While I agree 100% that some necks are more comfortable to play than others, you should not experience any aches or cramps when playing on a wider neck. Aches and cramps can be caused by not warming up, and by not staying hydrated. As I said, these are just other options to consider.

Online specs!
I can`t even find a pic of my Gold logo Hohner.
Anyway, the MIM Jazz has what appears to be a depth of 18mm from top of f/board to back of neck.
The Hohner looks more like 20mm.
I`m eyeing up Jazz necks now.
If I can find something old and vibey, I`ll stick it on the Hohner.

I have a deal of sympathy for you, re the neck profile issue.

I tried a Precision and a Jazz before I bought my very first bass (id been playing guitar before I took up bass) and was always, from the first moment, happier with a finer Jazz neck.

Like you're now finding, I've always gotten cramps and aches when playing long sets with a Precision whilst I never get any of that stuff when using a Jazz, many might suggest my playing technique is probably wrong, but, my technique is what it is and I'm sort of stuck with it ! . . I've spent a long time over the years searching for a comfortable Precision, closest I got to that holy grail was the Highway Precision you'll see in my Sig Block below . . . only one I've ever bought . . but, to be honest, I've never really been completely comfortable with the Highway, though it does have the skinniest neck of any Precision I've ever picked up - not sure if that’s how they all are or just my particular example ? . . . .

So . . . . I went the Frankenstein route . . picked up a nice Made in Japan loaded precision body and put a jazz neck on it . . . it all fitted perfectly . . no woodworking skills needed to set it up . . easy job . . . highly recommend it . . . more recently I've added a SD Antiquity pick up . . and thats the icing on the cake !

So that’s my gigging Precision these days . . . only draw back is it don’t say “Precision” on the headstock - I was gonna get that sorted but haven’t got round to it and maybe never will.

Good luck serching for your holy grail "P" ! ! !

Cheers,

I like Jazz necks too but my Precision's neck is very shallow which makes it very comfortable to play. It's a MIJ 57 re-issue. Do they have shallower necks than other Precisions?

If you're looking for a Jazz neck for your P I also have a couple of Jazz necks for sale which are on their way to Ebay tomorrow [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/157964-two-nice-jazz-bass-necks-for-sale/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/157964-two-nice-jazz-bass-necks-for-sale/[/url]

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1319237157' post='1411861']

I tried a couple of early 80s MIJ Ps last week and they felt the same, no better.
[/quote]

Have you checked out the G&L SB2 ? That's my one in my avatar. It is G&L's precision bass, and while it does not say "Precision" on the head stock, it beats the socks off ANY Fender precision for tone and build. You can get a USA SB2, or the SB2 Tribute, which is made in Indonesia to G&L's specs (same pups and electronics), and still a great bass. These SB2's have a jazz neck nut width. Not sure of the radius.

Feel for your plight....

I managed to injure my wrists a long while back, and have slight tendon issues with my wrists sometimes. As much as I love the sound of a Fender P, or a Stingray for that matter, after about half hour, my left wrist is really hurting.... :)

The Jazz bass suites me perfectly, can play one all day without an issue, and have been looking for a well built USA Jazz for a long time....

+1 For the Squier Precision Special. Got one here at Retro Towers, and it's a fantastic bass. Swapped the pups for SD 1/4 Pounders, and it sounds great.

Have also considered nailing a Jazz neck to a P body for a long time, and never got round to it :)

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1319364413' post='1413004']
G+L SB2 (I know in my toes that one won`t be the cheaper option!)

:)
[/quote]

The USA SB2, possibly not, but the Tribute should be. Check out this link :

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=G%26L+Tribute+sb2&_sacat=See-All-Categories"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=G%26L+Tribute+sb2&_sacat=See-All-Categories[/url]

For a couple of 'off the peg' skinny necked Fender Ps that I am currently enjoying:

Fender Precision Lyte has a P-Bass body and a very slim Jazz neck. Or, more accurately, a Stratocaster-type body as it is nearer that than a P.

Fender Power Jazz Bass Special - Precision body with skinny jazz neck. Mine is mid 80s with SD quarterpounders and is the best bass I have ever played or owned - every time I have gigged with it someone from the crowd has commented on it afterwards. The Fender Jazz Bass Special is the passive version.

These do have the single split coil pup but an additional J type pup at the bridge - and so are going into slightly different territory in terms of their sound capabilities. Also rear control cavities with no scratch plate gives them a different look, too.

Edited by Paul S

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1319301148' post='1412504']
I like Jazz necks too but my Precision's neck is very shallow which makes it very comfortable to play. It's a MIJ 57 re-issue. Do they have shallower necks than other Precisions?
[/quote]

Yes, they do. I have a 57RI too and the neck is shallow - a bit like a pre-EB StingRay.

By comparison, my '79 P bass has what is commonly referred to round these parts as the baseball bat neck: quite a deep and rounded profile. However the width at the nut is thinner (40mm?) so it's not too much of a handful. :)