Why become a member? ×

Coated/long-lasting strings in 50-110 gauge

Maverick

Hi all,

In my metal band we tune down to C#, and a 45-105 set is just not quite doing it for me. I'm currently using a set of Elixirs, which I really like otherwise, but that seems to be their heaviest gauge.

One option I can think of are DR strings. Now, I've tried the Black Beauties before and I have to be honest, I wasn't that keen (besides the novelty factor), I thought the tone was fairly dull and they didn't last as long as I'd hoped, both factors I thought the Elixirs beat them on. But, they do make them in a 50-110 set. There are also the Bootzillas in a 50-110 which I've never tried before so opinions (particularly comparative to the Black Beauties or Elixirs) would be greatly appreciated. Also, I've just discovered Dean Markley Blue Steels, so opinions on those likewise sought.

Are there other options I'm missing? I'm very much a roundwound kind of guy and I'd prefer to stick with coated strings as my hands seem to become death, the destroyer of worlds to ordinary strings (my guitarist complained that I'd dullened his strings after just 5 minutes on his guitar :) ), but if there are some better wearing non-coated strings out there then they'd be worth a look too.

Cheers!

I use Elixir 50-105, but that is as heavy as they go and most shops don't stock them. I wouldn't recommend using any other 'coated' string as (IME) Elixirs are the only ones that really 'work' well enough to be worth the extra expenditure, but there's plenty of other good uncoated strings that go heavier. EB Power Slinkys lasted me quite a while and they are 55-110, and I think DR do some drop tuning sets which may be worth you looking into.

Also it's well worth improving the life of your strings by getting into the habit of cleaning them after use (takes less than a minute to give them a rub down with fast fret).

Edited by danhkr

I honestly think that the DM Blue Steels are one of the finest strings available...................for about 10 minutes, then they die. I ordered a pack for a 45 minute set in a weeks time. They'll go on two days before, be used for a quick set that night and be dead following the next gig. Broken in >>>>dead in about 90 minutes.
Give Circle K or DR DDT's a looksee.

Thanks for the replies guys. Guess I'll avoid the Blue Steels then. Will have a look into the other sets suggested.

[quote name='danhkr' timestamp='1319105248' post='1409871']
Also it's well worth improving the life of your strings by getting into the habit of cleaning them after use (takes less than a minute to give them a rub down with fast fret).
[/quote]

I do try to give strings a wipe down with a cloth, but I hate the feel of strings after using Fast Fret, horrible stuff!