Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Thoughts on upgrading the drivers in a MAG210 cab?

Adrenochrome

Like many of you I'm thinking about attempting to downsize my rig without losing out soundwise.
I play in a rock-metal covers band with [b][i]substantial [/i][/b]PA support at all gigs and my bass rig is only used for onstage monitoring. I also prefer a bright sound onstage to loads of boominess.
My current extension/spare/practice cab is an Ashdown MAG 210 - occasionally gets used on it's own in tiny pubs.
It seems like the blueline speakers in this cab take a lot of driving, and don't sound that great. I like the cab itself, so would it make sense to upgrade to much better speakers (eg Celestion 300s neos), and possibly even use this as my main cab?

Thoughts?

(BTW my current main cab is an ancient Peavey black widow 1x15 that sounds the t1ts, IMO but is quite big and not easy to load into a lot of the pubs we play)

[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]Modding cabs isn't cheap and is a gamble. It's almost guaranteed to get you less than you had when you started.[/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][/size][/font][/color]
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial] [/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][/size][/font][/color]
[size=4][color=#222222][font=Arial]Get a Barefaced Compact. It'll blow both your cabs away in terms of volume and tone, it weighs less than 30 lbs and it'll sound much better than most cabs you can get for twice the cost. [/font][/color][/size][color=#222222][font=Arial][size=1][/size][/font][/color]
[size=4][font=Arial] [/font][/size][font=Arial][size=2][/size][/font]

Modding cabs isn't worth it in most cases unless you view it as a way to teach yourself about speaker design. For any given speaker there are sizes of cabs that work best and changing speakers means changing the cab (usually) or putting up with less than optimum results. Swapping speakers round without doing the maths is rarely successful. Your cab is worth something as an original but will lose cvalue if it doesn't have the original drivers so it is usually cost effective to trade up rather than add the cost of two new 10's that may or may not work well.

I too use a Black Widow but when i checked found the original Peavey cab designed in the 70's was too big, I built a smaller cab coincidently the same size as my 2x10 and it sounds much better than the original Peavey cab. Peavey still make the Widows and sell new cones that will restore your speaker to original (at a price). If you were keen you could look to make a new cab for the Widow. You'll need to know which one it is though.