Why become a member? ×

flanger/chorus

vicar

• 1 month later...

In theory it is right to describe them like the same kind of effect with different variation. But in my ears and in practice i find them very different, so two pedals is the best in my opinion. Wasn't impressed by any flanger/chorus pedal. Either because the falnger was then too subtle or because the chorus wasn't as good a chorus as on the other chorus pedals I had tried.

I actually manage sometimes to have a nice sound with a chorus on and a flanger on (and I am not a big user of effects).

I have to say that I am more than happy with my "cheap" boss flanger and ibanez chorus, and that I was very disappointed with more expensive pedals.

I prefer having different pedals for different effects. Nowadays I mainly use a TC SCF for Flanger and a very old Ibanez Bi-mode chorus pedal.
For studiowork I use Lexicon PCM70 or EMT251 chorus programs and for flanging my TC2290 delay or Eventide Instant Flanger. But that gear is some seriously old and rare stuff.

It depends on your set up as others above have mirrored. I used to use separate pedals, but then went down the combined route with an EBS Unichorus which is a great chorus and a pretty good, but subtle flanger). Tried the Mark Bass one but it sounded too thin to me, despite having a million options.

The best without shadow of a doubt is the Moogerfooger Cluster Flux, which I also own. It is the richest sounding chorus and flanger I have ever heard and the amount of crazy far out stuff it can do on top of being stunning at both effects is totally unreal. It does however come with a MASSIVE price tag. I use that and the EBS in my set up still - Despite how awesome the Cluster Flux is, I can't let go of the Unichorus.

I think the EBS is a great place to start. If you find you don't like having the 2 effects combined then you'll be able to sell it on for what you paid for it if you get a 2nd hand one and they tend to sell fast.

Shep

Separate pedals for each effect is my vote. There are pedals that do both fairly well, but it becomes big money to find one that does both [b][i]great[/i][/b].

[b]The Fulltone Choralflange[/b] is one of my favorites. It sounds absolutely fantastic, but you do need to bend down and throw a toggle switch depending on if you want chorus or flanger (They have been in the works for years now on a new model that will be a true stereo chorus, flanger, vibrato)

[b]The Jack Deville Mod Zero[/b] is also a very nice pedal but be CAREFUL on higher regen settings as there is a territory that will absolutely destroy speakers with the spike it has. For this reason, it's not on my pedalboard but it was a contender.

Some of my favorite standalone flangers are the old school DOD bass stereo flanger (prefer that much more than boss) but in the more boutique range I love the Hartman Flanger, and the brand new Stonefish Chorus/vibrato from Greenhouse Effects.

I LOVE the [b]GNI Phaser/Flanger [/b]but that is well over $300 US. I needed it to fit on a small board, and it's the only pedal I've found that had both of those effects in one box, can be used alone or together, and sounds FANTASTIC.