Why become a member? ×

Update: Clanging Frets (still not fixed)

Rich44

Remember me? A while ago I mentioned the problem I was having with my bass making a hideous clanging noise when fretting. Well its still not fixed. I have barely picked up my guitar recently because I know that no matter how hard I try, its going to sound crap anyway. Well this is a last ditch attempt, either I get it fixed or Im selling it and giving up on bass (which upsets me but its the last straw now). Ive tried every possible thing I could think of but still it persists.

The only thing remaining which I can think of is that its the frets themselves (like faulty frets), which I would have to have removed/sanded down? I really don't know and it must be expensive right?

Will converting it to a fretless solve the problem? And bear in mind im still an absolute beginner despite having the guitar 6 months, could I handle learning from scratch on a fretless, or do you have to be good first?

Please help or the bass gets it! :)

[quote name='Rich44' post='161585' date='Mar 21 2008, 09:12 PM']Remember me? A while ago I mentioned the problem I was having with my bass making a hideous clanging noise when fretting. Well its still not fixed. I have barely picked up my guitar recently because I know that no matter how hard I try, its going to sound crap anyway. Well this is a last ditch attempt, either I get it fixed or Im selling it and giving up on bass (which upsets me but its the last straw now). Ive tried every possible thing I could think of but still it persists.

The only thing remaining which I can think of is that its the frets themselves (like faulty frets), which I would have to have removed/sanded down? I really don't know and it must be expensive right?

Will converting it to a fretless solve the problem? And bear in mind im still an absolute beginner despite having the guitar 6 months, could I handle learning from scratch on a fretless, or do you have to be good first?

Please help or the bass gets it! :)[/quote]

two suggestions:

one) take the bass to a decent luthier to look at

two) take yourself to a decent teacher to look at your technique

In the abscence of any info in your profile so we dont know where you are (amybe one of us cuold help you) I have to agree with paulc above.

I tried some pretty cack stuff in shops just to figure out what they are like. My technique is not amazing either, however I have yet to come across what you describe.

Have you tried any other basses? Go down to your local music shop and try a few. If they all do it, it's you and you need to get your technique sorted. If they don't, buy another bass or take yours to someone who knows what they're doing and get the bass sorted. Do not, whatever you do, pack it in because of noisy frets. And no, converting it to fretless is not the answer.

Thanks for response. I think Im going to take it to a shop, either for a full setup, fret levelling or a refret depending on cost. Can I get any of these for £30-40? Because surely It can't be worth spending £50+ on a £120 guitar, I might aswell be saving up for a new one right? Will any guitar shop level frets or are some better than others, the only place near to me is a small home run business, is it worth the risk?

Hi Rich, where in Wales are you?
As you say it could be technique or an issue with the bass itself. If you're getting it on every fret, it may simply be a technique thing which a teacher could remedy easily.

Regarding luthiers, the size of the shop won't matter to be honest. There are good and bad repair people in big and little shops :)

Out of interest..

a, how do you pluck the strings?
b, are your fretting fingers right next to the frets or pretty much in the middle between two frets?
c, are you playing through an amp or unplugged? If you use an amp, is there a difference in the amount of clanging?

Cheers
Alun

[quote name='Alun' post='162817' date='Mar 24 2008, 08:07 PM']Out of interest..

a, how do you pluck the strings?
b, are your fretting fingers right next to the frets or pretty much in the middle between two frets?
c, are you playing through an amp or unplugged? If you use an amp, is there a difference in the amount of clanging?[/quote]

a. Roll fingers across top of the string rather than plucking like a bow (have been told this is best?) Also I try to use the bridge pickup area as Ive heard this stops the string from vibrating from side to side too much.
b. As close to the fret below but not touching it
c. Theres no difference plugged or unplugged really, but its more of a percussive thing than a electronic thing though. It really is a "metal-on-metal" noise.

Its more of a left hand thing, just gently fretting a note (not even with plucking) gives a noise as loud as an open string.

[quote name='Rich44' post='162831' date='Mar 24 2008, 08:49 PM']a. Roll fingers across top of the string rather than plucking like a bow (have been told this is best?) Also I try to use the bridge pickup area as Ive heard this stops the string from vibrating from side to side too much.
b. As close to the fret below but not touching it
c. Theres no difference plugged or unplugged really, but its more of a percussive thing than a electronic thing though. It really is a "metal-on-metal" noise.

Its more of a left hand thing, just gently fretting a note (not even with plucking) gives a noise as loud as an open string.[/quote]

is the noise in the amplified sound coming out of the speakers, or purely in the acoustic sound that comes to your ears directly from the neck region...

I used to get really annoyed by "clanking" noises when fretting and releasing... as these noises didn't come out of the PA for the audience to hear or appear on recordings I take off the soundboard, I don't care any more...

do us a favour, record a short sample of you playing what you normally play and attach it in this thread...

[quote name='Rich44' post='162831' date='Mar 24 2008, 08:49 PM']b. As close to the fret below but not touching it[/quote]

Hmm, when you say the fret below - if you're playing the 5th fret is your finger nearer the 5th or 4th? Does the sound improve if you fret on top of the fret?

Cheers
Alun

[quote name='Rich44' post='162831' date='Mar 24 2008, 08:49 PM']b. As close to the fret below but not touching it[/quote]

Fretting works by pressing the string firmly down on the fingerboard. If you fret too close to the fret you cant make firm contact with the fingerboard and you get a clank.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='162858' date='Mar 24 2008, 09:46 PM']Fretting works by pressing the string firmly down on the fingerboard. If you fret too close to the fret you cant make firm contact with the fingerboard and you get a clank.[/quote]

That's not strictly true. A note is fretted when the string makes firm contact with the fret, not the board. Fretting close to,or even on, the fret will produce a cleaner tone. The reason for my question was that if the string were fretted nearer to a lower fret, or directly between two frets, it will take a lot more pressure to produce a clean tone than fretting right next to the desired fret.

Cheers
Alun