Why become a member? ×

Gibson destroying the planet? Are they really so bad at making basses?

4 Strings

Interesting article here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15268169

Seems like over-reaction to an over-reaction.

Not sure he's doing himself any favours sidling with the dreaded Tea Party but you can't help but see his point, especially with the lovely US style armed raid.

Also not sure why anyone would think that Gibson are above any action to stop abuse of our resources but is doesn't look like they're guilty anyway.

700 guitars a day though. Who says Gibsons/Fenders are not mass produced?

It is a shame this has happened again and I totally believe that Gibson are innocent. When I was out at the factory this time last year we were shown how they import their woods and how they choose the sources extremely carefully, especially after the raid in 2009. It;s more about politics I think with the tea party association.

They finish 600 guitars a day in the USA factory and about 70 a day in the custom shop. It is definitely a sight worth seeing and makes you realise just how much they lost when they had the flood! 0ver 2000 guitars into the chipper :)

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1318500963' post='1402847']
700 guitars a day though. Who says Gibsons/Fenders are not mass produced?
[/quote]
700 a day is nothing compared to the amount they were churning out in the mid/late 70's - I've read figures of 2000+.
No wonder their quality control went down the sh*tt*r.

It's environmental because instead of clear cutting forests to sell cheap lumber they cut more slowly and make products for export. This provides much more money for the trees and the local people and slows the forests demise greatly. As humans we will still destroy everything but it will be much farther in the future when it happens. Bad things for those that believe in eminent domain and the rapture, good for those who like monkeys.