Why become a member? ×

New Rack - Need Help!!

Dave D

Hi Guys.

Just got a new Ampeg SVT-7 which needs to live in a rack!
I'm guessing the head is a 2U, so i've got a 4U rack on the way.

Being new to the whole rack thing, is there any other essential kit for the 2 remaining spaces? I have a pedal tuner that i really like, and don't use many effects, just a bit of chorus and flanger for the Thin Lizzy covers!!
Are there any rack chorus' around?
And ive been reading about 'Sonic Maximisers'! Sounds like something from the Rocky Horror Show, but some people really rant about them!

Any suggestions?

Thanks

All my racks start with a decent power conditioner; keeps everything tidy and protects your investment. After that, I'd use your remaining 1U for a good compressor or wireless (as already suggested) or a decent DI like an RBI etc. so that if your rig ever went down, you'd have an instant backup through the PA.

Not essential, but if you have a spare space, you could get a power unit with a racklight. Its really handy having the on switch at the front (if your amp's power switch is at the back), and a power hub for anything else in the rack. The racklights good for show off purposes :)