Why become a member? ×

New Member, Long time player

VTypeV4

Hey guys, I've been pointed to this forum by a good friend who has been on here for a long time. I'm sure he'll make himself known when he sees this!

I'm Matt and work as a pro sound engineer at a local venue and as a part time motorcycle instructor. I used to be semi pro with the bass but I'm not even in a band these days -something I must remedy- but still play at home and dep for gigs as and when.

I started playing at 15 back in 1998 when still at school. No-one else at the time would volunteer and since I had a bass at home that belonged to my stepdad, I had thought, what can possibly go wrong?

My preferred style is very much of the acid/funk/groove line, I love it. Old stuff such as Stanley Clarke's 'School Days' and AWB's 'Cut the Cake' right through to modern stuff such my favourite band, Jamiroquai. If I had to compare myself to anyone, it would be Nick Fyffe.

I have played in many bands up and down the country, including a 10-peice soul/motown outfit, a 6-peice '70s Disco group, a seven-peice Cajun swamp n roll band etc etc.

With regards to equipment, I mainly play a 5-string Warwick Streamer LX that I had new many years ago. I still love that guitar. I also have a soft spot for Jazz basses too, I've had loads of them! When it comes to amps, I've been a life long Trace Elliot fan up until very recently and I've had virtually one of everything they've ever made! Although I no longer have any, I still love it. I now have and Ashton All valve rig.

I'll post some pix in the other reletave sections,

Cheers.

KH 250: Legendary smoker, sweet man!

Triumph 21: Never heard of that model, sorry.

Honda CX500: Used to belong to my dad, I managed to find it 15 years after he sold it. He doesn't know I have it yet, Ha! Great bike in an old school steady kinda way. Very charming indeed!

GSX600F: My first bike. I thrashed the nuts off it and dropped it a couple of times. Very solid and reliable.

VFR800: A few friends have had these, a quick and capable bike with legendary honda reliabilty. V-Tec or none, both great bikes.

Shame yours have gone dude. I sold loads of bass stuff including a Status to get into bikes. :)

And my personal weapon of choice:

FJ1200: I like 'em so much, I have two!

[quote name='VTypeV4' timestamp='1318590776' post='1404024']
FJ1200: I like 'em so much, I have two!
[/quote]
Aggh! If I get another bike it will be an FJ1200.

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triumph_Twenty_One"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triumph_Twenty_One[/url]

:)

[quote name='VTypeV4' timestamp='1318591440' post='1404044']
Thats truly an oldschool bit of kit, lovely tho.
[/quote]
Great fun, slow but tons of attitude! Mine didn't have the 'bathtub' fitted and had straight-through megaphone pipes.
You could hear it coming for miles. Couldn't get away with it today, that's for sure.

I always wind up being guilty of cross forum contamination..

I talk about pro audio and bass on my Yamaha FJ and Honda CX forums
I talk about Yamaha FJs and Honda CXs on the bass and Carver forum
I talk about Honda CXs on the FJ Forum and FJs on the CX forum
I talk about bass on the Carver forum

I think you get the idea! Guilty as charged..

[quote name='VTypeV4' timestamp='1318614220' post='1404459']
Sounds like fun! Its what I like about the CX, plenty of personality (not sure 'attitude' is the right term for the CX!) and identity. Love the slight burble and chuff from its exhausts.. :)
[/quote]
Yes, I got one when they first came out - a red one. I was 19 and it looked like a beast. Now of course it looks cute and dainty. I believe it was the first bike to have tubeless tyres. Basically it was half a car - sealed cooling system, radiator, shaft drive, big comfy seat etc. But I'll never forget that exhaust burble. Dammit, I've got GAS for a CX500 now! :)

Edited by discreet

Thats a sweet looking CX man, real sweet.. You opened the door now so here's some pix you may like Mr D.

[IMG]http://i778.photobucket.com/albums/yy70/VTypeV4/EngineSeven.jpg[/IMG]

My '87 FJ currently about 2/3 of its way through a complete rebuild and modification. Note its sat on FZR1000 wheels and suspension. The frame has been powder coated and the engine has Wiseco High comp pistons in. Should be a flyer when its done! I took it to Nurburgring back in 2009; its great upsetting sports bikes on an 'old tourer' ha!

[IMG]http://i778.photobucket.com/albums/yy70/VTypeV4/DSC00104-1.jpg[/IMG]

1980 CX 500 A that used to belong to my dad. I haven't told him I've got it. I love riding this bike and I consider myself very lucky for it to be still in great condition after 31 years. Love it!

[IMG]http://i778.photobucket.com/albums/yy70/VTypeV4/035.jpg[/IMG]

And finally my daily rider. This 1992 Fj gets used all day everyday as I don't drive a car. Its a solid bike which inspite of being nearly 20 years old and having 72k on the clock is still quick, comfy and reliable. The pic is in France at the Milau Bridge last year.