Why become a member? ×

SX basses...why the kudos?

Guest MoJo

I've noticed the SX brand name cropping up more and more regularly here on basschat particularly when anyone mentions looking for a good P-bass or Jazz bass copy. My question is, "Why the sudden kudos attached to this particular brand of budget guitars?"

I had an SX Jazz copy. In fact...here it is

Admittedly it was a very attractive guitar for not a lot of money but the pick-ups were weak and the hardware felt cheap. I certainly wouldn't rate it more highly than the 'No-Brand' Jazz copy I bought for about £140...this one here

I moved the SX on yet I felt this 'No-Brander' good enough to warrant pimping. As you can see by the addition of a Badass II bridge. The pick-ups were much better on this than the SX, the neck was better and it played nicely.

My point is this. If you're in the market for a decent usable bass for under £150, don't let yourself get swept along in the tide of hype that seems to be flowing across from the other side of the Atlantic at the moment. SX basses are ok but there are a lot of budget basses out there equally as good if not better.

Edited by bassman2790

I'm sure there's some documented phenonomen that explains this, but I think peopel just enjoy some kind of consensus. There was a spate of people buying the Harley Benton Beat Bass in the dying days of Bass World, but they're never mentioned anymore. I can understand why the SX's are so popular in the US, but when you factor in shipping charges they're not so competitive over here. I'm sure the SX's are coming from the same factory as a lot of other Chinese budget brands which are available over here for the same kind of cash (or less).

But that's kind of the point yeah? It looks tidy, admittedly.

But is it any better (play/feel/sound) than any other reasonably priced copy?

The 'looks' might be why people are being swept along. (?) I mean, it looks like a whole lot more bass than a tight budget might afford.
Maybe that's enough for some people, but I think bassman is questioning everything but the looks.

I gotta say Neil that looks tasty!
And, since I've not tried one, maybe it sounds ok? I dunno...

Andy

I think the name on the headstock has a lot to do with it. Not necessarily the name SX...but the fact the it's actually quite a nice logo. I am actually put off by a "cheap" ie. badly designed logo on a headstock. The name Jim Deacon is an awful font emblazoned on the headstock just makes a bass look as cheap as it is!

Unbranded is even better....however there is nowhere near the choice you get with SX. If the unbranded basses came in PJ, maple or rosewood, 62 or 75s they would do much better. Not everyone wants a 60s bass with a rosewood board.

And finally, after having been through quite a few budget basses over the years, I think my SX compares favourably to at least one MIJ P I have owned, and that was straight out of the box. Not just in terms of playability and build quality...but in terms of character and "vibe". My SX is just pretty damn cool. And that's hard thing to find in a budget bass.

Quick tangent/hijack.....I just bought an ES-175 copy from Strativarius Guitars on ebay. Chinese made and left unbranded. Check them out if you dabble in the dark arts. Anyway, I emailed the seller and tried to talk him into supplying SX. I will let you know if I hear anything back from him. He has a nice looking MM 5 copy for £110 on there at the moment.

P.

The SX thing is this:
They are dead cheap.
They play and sound pretty much Ok out of the box, better with a few cheapish mods and are not available on every high street and eBay auction.
It doesn't say "beginner" on the headstock (to me) in the same way that Squier does and it doesn't say "£90 quid bass" on the headstock in the same way that Jim Deacon does.

The scarcity and general adoration of them by many US talkbass players mans that a correctly worded eBay auction will get a decent price second hand where a Squier generally won't.

There is a lot of choice of different models.
There is a certain excitement and exotic aspect about buying a bass from the US rather than your local music shop oik.

They sound and play Ok and some look great too, David Dickinson neck tan on some models aside....

However, the SX basses that are generally available here in "bass packs" seem to be a different animal.

I've played two unmodified Rondo SX jazzes, my heavily modded P and two "SX bass pack" basses in the local shop alongside a Squier VM 75 Fretted.
The "bass pack" jazzes - with 21 frets - felt less "together" and the Squier VM Jazz was a much better bass. However the whole pack sells for about £150 ...

IMHO the Rondo SX Jazz (20 frets) with a Gotoh bridge swap is easily as good as the Squier VM Jazz but with the added benefits of the points above.

Agree totally with OG.

Also, why when a few members express a favour towards a cheap bass its branded as "mass hysteria"?

Ive now sold my Aerodyne as it simply was not being played anymore, My SX duo are all I need.

Ive played no end of cheapo basses like most of us and SX's are the best IMO.

OGs comment re the actual name are so true, they are not obviously cheapos.

[quote name='neilb' post='163013' date='Mar 25 2008, 10:40 AM']Also, why when a few members express a favour towards a cheap bass its branded as "mass hysteria"?[/quote]

It seems that enthusiasm for something gets knocked ..
Same with Shukers ..

I'll play my Shukers over the SX anytime however if I want to lend my bass to a jam session unknown person it will be the SX ..

[quote name='neilb' post='163013' date='Mar 25 2008, 10:40 AM']Also, why when a few members express a favour towards a cheap bass its branded as "mass hysteria"?

Ive now sold my Aerodyne as it simply was not being played anymore, My SX duo are all I need.[/quote]
I would call selling a perfectly good Fender to play SX basses pretty hysterical.

I have never played one but they do appear to be budget basses that are a class above similar priced basses in terms of looks and playability, but they are still budget basses and if you put hot pups on one then you have a cheap plank with hot pups.

The thing with forums like this is that someone buys an SX and thinks it is good value for money, sticks up a few photos and a review and next thing you know 20 more people have bought one. It is the same with Shukers to a lesser extent - cos of the high profile they have on here people order them instead of using local luthiers - the obvious example being the guy from the same town as Zoot basses - did he even look at Zoot I wonder? Is a Shuker any better than a similar priced Sei, GB, Overwater, RM, Zoot, Manson, ACG etc etc?

Back on Bassworld we had Loud cabs, cheap cabs that punched above their weight. Lots of threads from happy punter generated lots more sales and the guy f***ed off with everyones money.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='163038' date='Mar 25 2008, 11:22 AM']I would call selling a perfectly good Fender to play SX basses pretty hysterical.

I have never played one but they do appear to be budget basses that are a class above similar priced basses in terms of looks and playability, but they are still budget basses and if you put hot pups on one then you have a cheap plank with hot pups.

The thing with forums like this is that someone buys an SX and thinks it is good value for money, sticks up a few photos and a review and next thing you know 20 more people have bought one. It is the same with Shukers to a lesser extent - cos of the high profile they have on here people order them instead of using local luthiers - the obvious example being the guy from the same town as Zoot basses - did he even look at Zoot I wonder? Is a Shuker any better than a similar priced Sei, GB, Overwater, RM, Zoot, Manson, ACG etc etc?

Back on Bassworld we had Loud cabs, cheap cabs that punched above their weight. Lots of threads from happy punter generated lots more sales and the guy f***ed off with everyones money.[/quote]

What's the beef Bass Ferret?

If you want to promote your preferences go ahead. It's no problem that you like your basses and your luthier. Forums are about sharing opinions and advice. Sure other cheap basses and Luther's are available. If they suit you that's fine, go ahead. I won't be decrying your choices.

The SXs are good cheap planks. That's it. If someone prefers one to a Fender then that's their taste and choice.
"Still a cheap bass" true but if you only have 200 quid it's a very good option.
Actually as they are made of decent tone woods (mine is Swamp ash and pine rather than Basswood or plywood) putting in decent PUPs and electronics may well give it as good a sound as anything else made of those woods .... The cheap bit is because the labour and parts from China are so cheap. A Fender MIM or MIA or CIJ will have higher costs to pay for the bigger labour and transport costs as well as keeping the Fender machine going.

There are many factors in choosing a custom bass luthier. Geographical location is just one. Jon was recommended to me by someone I knew and trusted. The same person's Sei was not that impressive.
Obviously if there's a great guy right there in your town then that's great. But other factors may be more important.
People drive past perfectly good luthiers on route to others all the time.. How many Overwaters (or Roscoes or Baccus) are there in the South East?

The bit about the Loud Cabs guy stealing all the money is simply irrelevant, unless you know something we don't about the luthiers you've listed :)

Edited by OldGit

hmmm, while admittedly some of the SX basses do look quite nice, to me, they still reek of cheapo bass and probably slightly more so than Squier which at least have a vague connection to fender. i have always been a bit of a gear snob though so perhaps that clouds my judgement when i should be judging on playability etc rather than the headstock logo. Still, I personally wouldn't ever go out live with a sub £200 bass. Like so many things though, its to each his own.

peace

c

[quote]I would call selling a perfectly good Fender to play SX basses pretty hysterical.[/quote]

I did it. I sold my Aerodyne and my Squier VMJ and would still sell my BB614 if any bugger wanted it. I have a SX P...now with added J in the bridge and that's all I need for now. And if I decide I need another bass...it will be a SX jazz.

I have owned a couple of MIJ and MIM Fenders over the years too and the SX easily compares in all respects. In all fairness I have never owned a US Fender but only because I have never found one that was worth the extra dosh!

Paul.

I don't doubt SX make decent basses that may well be worthy of a bit of pimping. But I do think there's a certain herd mentality that we all subscribe to, and not just here on basschat. You only have to look at the way various pieces of kit comes and goes out of fashion to realise that. Jazzes were far more popular in the nineties, Ricks made a resurgence a few years ago and judging by recent comments Precisions are getting more kudos (on these boards anyway). And there's nothing wrong with that - we all pick up tips and opinions from somewhere, and they're bound to affect our own judgment (and GAS :) ).

SX appear to be making decent instruments with decent quality control, something hard to find at this price, so it's to be expected that they'll be a good option. But there is an element of 'going with the crowd' to all this as well. These basses are coming from a factory that will be producing near identical basses that are more readily available in the UK, though perhaps with a less fashionable name on the headstock. If our introduction (well, mine anyway) to Jim Deacon basses hadn't been via cheapo sales on ebay, perhaps we wouldn't have them filed away in the 'cheap and nasty' category?

I've recently purchased two SX 5 string Jazzers..... I don't like fender basses... don't like the necks.... I do like the look of a Jazz bass though..... These SX were bought to be modded and curb my interest in Jazz shaped basses..... These are just as good as any of the lower end Fenders I've tried..... the hardware and pickups are not as good as on the Fenders but the necks and the body/finishes are just as good.

Saying that..... I'm not keen on the fretted one I bought..... the fretless is nice..... sounds good.... would be great with decent pre in.

I would say these are as good as Squires..... then I'm no expert in Fenders.

Edited by crez5150

[quote name='OldGit' post='163188' date='Mar 25 2008, 03:13 PM']What's the beef Bass Ferret?

If you want to promote your preferences go ahead. It's no problem that you like your basses and your luthier. Forums are about sharing opinions and advice. Sure other cheap basses and Luther's are available. If they suit you that's fine, go ahead. I won't be decrying your choices.

The SXs are good cheap planks. That's it. If someone prefers one to a Fender then that's their taste and choice.
"Still a cheap bass" true but if you only have 200 quid it's a very good option.
Actually as they are made of decent tone woods (mine is Swamp ash and pine rather than Basswood or plywood) putting in decent PUPs and electronics may well give it as good a sound as anything else made of those woods .... The cheap bit is because the labour and parts from China are so cheap. A Fender MIM or MIA or CIJ will have higher costs to pay for the bigger labour and transport costs as well as keeping the Fender machine going.

There are many factors in choosing a custom bass luthier. Geographical location is just one. Jon was recommended to me by someone I knew and trusted. The same person's Sei was not that impressive.
Obviously if there's a great guy right there in your town then that's great. But other factors may be more important.
People drive past perfectly good luthiers on route to others all the time.. How many Overwaters (or Roscoes or Baccus) are there in the South East?

The bit about the Loud Cabs guy stealing all the money is simply irrelevant, unless you know something we don't about the luthiers you've listed :)[/quote]

No beef - he is someone else.

Not saying they are not good cheap planks - I am sure they are, its just that some people think they are more than that and I believe that was the point of the original post.

Same with Shuker, I have never suggested that he is better or worse than any other builder and I have never said my builder is better than anyone else's builder.

I know nothing about anyone's intentions to rip any one off, but I am sure SX are churned out in the same factory as a lot of other cheap planks and having established quality credentials for the brand it is not beyond possibility that the brand will start appearing on less well made instruments.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='163224' date='Mar 25 2008, 04:12 PM']I know nothing about anyone's intentions to rip any one off, but I am sure SX are churned out in the same factory as a lot of other cheap planks and having established quality credentials for the brand it is not beyond possibility that the brand will start appearing on less well made instruments.[/quote]

Yup It does already.
I don't know what the Bass Collection style SXs are like.

Anyway if you don't want to play a cheap bass then don't ... simple really.
if you do then these are worth a look ...
Any other nominations in this price range?

[quote name='OldGit' post='163237' date='Mar 25 2008, 04:31 PM']Any other nominations in this price range?[/quote]
Not a clue! Unlike yourself I did not spend a fortune on custom basses to play cheap planks instead. But then I never do gigs where gear is shared and never have. Anyone who turns up for a gig without a bass should f*** off as far as I am concerned.

It maybe that these really are cheap planks as good as stuff that is 3 times the price. But I am a cynical old bastard who thinks that if something is too good to be true then it is not true.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='163450' date='Mar 25 2008, 11:23 PM']Not a clue! Unlike yourself I did not spend a fortune on custom basses to play cheap planks instead. But then I never do gigs where gear is shared and never have. Anyone who turns up for a gig without a bass should f*** off as far as I am concerned.[/quote]
I reckon OldGit thought about Jam Sessions:)