Why become a member? ×

Gibson Victory Standard.... nice

yorick

Nothing to do with me, but saw this as I was browsing. Looks tasty!!! :)

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Gibson-Victory-Bass-Guitar-/180729874217?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item2a14570729"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Gibson-Victory-Bass-Guitar-/180729874217?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item2a14570729[/url]

[quote name='LemonCello' timestamp='1318102290' post='1398186']
Yeah, nice looking thing. A fairly bog standard failed P bass rival though. This one is not a bad price, there's one on Andy Baxter Bass for £850!
[/quote]

How many "fairly bog standard" basses do you know have a maple body, have 22-24 frets, have a series/parallel switchable humbucker, have a four in line angled headstock, have strengthening rods in the neck and have a bridge which is adjustable in all directions (action, intonation and string spacing)?

I hate to think what your understanding of "bog standard" is.

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1318104011' post='1398211']

How many "fairly bog standard" basses do you know have a maple body, have 22-24 frets, have a series/parallel switchable humbucker, have a four in line angled headstock, have strengthening rods in the neck and have a bridge which is adjustable in all directions (action, intonation and string spacing)?

I hate to think what your understanding of "bog standard" is.
[/quote]

I notice you have 2 artists models. Was the standard a bit too bog standard for you? It's a fact that many have tried to emulate the success of the Fender P, but most have failed dismally, including Gibson!

[quote name='Deep Thought' timestamp='1318267750' post='1399899']
I used to have a real hankering for one of these back in the 80's, but it looks awfully dated now.
[/quote]

There is no doubting that it's a good looking thing. It remains to be seen if these turn 'vintage' in the same way as a Fender. I doubt it personally though. The Artist models do fetch decent money and they are very 'whizzy' in the electronics dept, but the standards just don't stack up any more, and they're battleship heavy!

[quote name='LemonCello' timestamp='1318267182' post='1399896']
I notice you have 2 artists models. Was the standard a bit too bog standard for you? It's a fact that many have tried to emulate the success of the Fender P, but most have failed dismally, including Gibson!
[/quote]

You haven't noticed much else though, have you? What has my choice of basses got to do with the fact that you've completely missed my point? Shall I reiterate in more concise terms? The whole Gibson Victory range has all the things I listed, most of these things are not found in "bog standard" basses, never mind all of them.

I wanted the Victory Artist because I felt that a 2 pickup bass would be more flexible than a single pickup bass. Your attempt to make me look like a snob is bang out of order when you can clearly see (from the link in my sig) that my Victory Artist was basket case picked up for dirt cheap then lovingly restored and even more pertinent my RD Artist was a gift to me from my wife bought with her inheritance, having lost her father just over a year ago. You know nothing about me but you thought you'd have a pop anyway. Well done.

Furthermore, it's a lot easier to pick up an RD Artist: they outsold the RD Standard by at least a factor of 3:1. Also why would I get an RD Standard when I already have a 2 pickup passive VVT Gibson bass - my 1987 IV?

Yes, the Victory is a heavy bass. So are some other basses. Big whoop. No-one's holding a gun to your head and forcing you to play one.

I appear to have rung your Gibson bell don't I? Facts of the matter are that Fender have produced several hundred thousand P basses and Gibson only made three Victory Standards. Andy Baxter has one, there's the one on E bay and the bloke from the Wurzels has the other one. I rest my case. You seem overly sensitive about my 'bog standard' comment? In case you hadn't noticed the word 'standard' appears in the name of that particular model doesn't it, so I guess we are only at odds over the word 'bog'? I think I've got better things to do quite honestly.

[quote name='LemonCello' timestamp='1318318124' post='1400322']
I appear to have rung your Gibson bell don't I? Facts of the matter are that Fender have produced several hundred thousand P basses and Gibson only made three Victory Standards. Andy Baxter has one, there's the one on E bay and the bloke from the Wurzels has the other one. I rest my case. You seem overly sensitive about my 'bog standard' comment? In case you hadn't noticed the word 'standard' appears in the name of that particular model doesn't it, so I guess we are only at odds over the word 'bog'? I think I've got better things to do quite honestly.
[/quote]

It's gone way beyond types of basses. I dealt with that quite capably in my first post. You then went after me. You made a comment about me, and who I am. That is what I take exception to.

I'm guessing an apology for your insensitive behaviour is way too much to hope for, so I won't hold my breath.

I think that any further correspondence on this matter should be in PM. I've said my public piece.

[quote name='LemonCello' timestamp='1318318124' post='1400322']
[/quote]
The thing is, you are quite wrong as far as this thread is concerned... apart from your comment on the weight (which was an exaggeration but we get what you mean)
The similarity to a P bass is very tenuous indeed - based presumably on the general position of the pickup only.
You've come into a thread about Gibsons but mentioned Fender in every post you've made - I think you may have an ulterior motive to be in this thread and to be honest it's not a positive one.
Lastly, Fender have made far more basses than Fodera (to take your argument to it's extreme) do you still want to use that model for and argument over who make better basses?

I seriously suggest that everyone grows up. I made a comment that (in my opinion) the bass in question was "fairly bog standard" and look whats happened. I am entitled to my opinion. For heaven's sake, this sort of schoolboy "Sir, he's called my bass a nasty name Sir" is ridiculous!

Get a life......

bored of this

[quote name='LemonCello' timestamp='1318332621' post='1400628']
I seriously suggest that everyone grows up. I made a comment that (in my opinion) the bass in question was "fairly bog standard" and look whats happened. I am entitled to my opinion. For heaven's sake, this sort of schoolboy "Sir, he's called my bass a nasty name Sir" is ridiculous!

Get a life......

bored of this
[/quote]
Ah yes "get a life" is so grown up. :)
Actually you incorrectly said the bass in question was a failed P bass copy... then took a dig at my mate. If you are capable of producing a factual comparison instead of relying on the "this is the internet so my opinion is right to me, regardless of how incorrect it is in reality" line then I'll gladly let it slide. The other part is between you and Neepheid and can probably be resolved with an apology... while we're being adults that is. :)

Ok, Ok here's the factual comparison, taken from Fly Guitars (somewhat of an authority on Gibson's)........and I quote:

"The series was moderately sucessful, with high profile players such as Dave Kiswiney and Ralphe Armstrong endorsing the Victory Artist. As usual with Gibson basses, it didn't outsell the Fender Precision, and so fell by the wayside after five years".

...So you will let it slide now then?