Why become a member? ×

FOR SALE: 1976 Fender P bass in beautiful Mocha

Old Horse Murphy

Right, I've finally got my arse in to gear and am putting my 76 P Bass up for sale.

I say it's a 76 because the serial number says it is. The body and neck however are dated 1975, and the pots are dated Feb 76, so it must be right on the cusp.

It has the ealry 70's neck transfers and the early 70's style serial number stamped on the neckplate.

It's 100% original apart from the volume and tone knobs. It currently has a Wizard Thumper in it, but I still have the original pickup which is included in the sale. I will also supply the original strap buttons and pickguard screws.

It also comes with the chrome pickup cover which I have removed for ease of playing.

The pickguard is 100% original and in fantastic condition (no cracks or anything).

The bass has virtually no buckle rash but the paint has worn on the top edge where the elbow or wrist rests. Other than that, it is in fantastic condition. There's also some stippling on the front of the body where it looks like someone playing with cufflinks or a cuff button has worn part of the finish.

The colour is Mocha brown and shows off the grain of the body fantastically. It's a real head turner.

It's got a rosewood fingerboard (excellent conditon) and the frets are excellent too.

The neck is beautiful and very fast. I had it checked out by a Fender expert a while back and hes said the neck was a real player's neck.

This is a very reluctant sale as I'm very sad to see this bass go (a loss of hearing has affected my ability to pick up P Bass sounds now).

After purchasing a Lakland Joe Osborn 5 stringer, it has become apparent that Jazz basses are the way to go.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Thanks for looking.

Edited by Old Horse Murphy

[quote name='mic mac moe' post='160836' date='Mar 20 2008, 02:24 PM']:) Was this from HiperIon? If so,theres a vid on youtube of said bass in action[/quote]It's the very same (a great guy with quality gear). I'll check out Youtube for the link and here it is. For all you Hooky fans!!! [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpTvbfL1Jyw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpTvbfL1Jyw[/url]

Edited by Old Horse Murphy

Yep..this was the one i sold to Nick...he is a great guy..so deal with him with confidence....
the precision was a very great one...warm, solid , classic precision sound , probably with the new pickup will sound also better and you can be sure of the collectors value because the original pup is there also....so go for it! :)

[quote name='Hiperi0n' post='160903' date='Mar 20 2008, 04:14 PM']Yep..this was the one i sold to Nick...he is a great guy..so deal with him with confidence....
the precision was a very great one...warm, solid , classic precision sound , probably with the new pickup will sound also better and you can be sure of the collectors value because the original pup is there also....so go for it! :)[/quote]

Thanks Marco :huh:

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' post='160837' date='Mar 20 2008, 02:25 PM']It's the very same (a great guy with quality gear). I'll check out Youtube for the link and here it is. For all you Hooky fans!!! [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpTvbfL1Jyw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpTvbfL1Jyw[/url][/quote]

MB1. :)
?????????????????????Sorry youve lost me????????????????????

[quote name='tombboy' post='161758' date='Mar 22 2008, 12:03 PM']SO tempted to offer my 30th in a trade.. But it's not on your 'wanted' list! :)[/quote]

Tom, your 30th Anniversary Ray is stunning and if I didn't already own a Ray (not as nice as yours) I'd bite your hand off for a trade!!

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' post='162330' date='Mar 23 2008, 07:37 PM']Tom, your 30th Anniversary Ray is stunning and if I didn't already own a Ray (not as nice as yours) I'd bite your hand off for a trade!![/quote]

Trade,Trade,Trade,Trade.....(chanted in a Harry Hill "fight" styley!)

[quote name='MB1' post='162336' date='Mar 23 2008, 07:45 PM']MB1. :)
Trade,Trade,Trade,Trade.....(chanted in a Harry Hill "fight" styley!)[/quote]
Just over an hour to go on Ebay with 29 people watching it.

I have a feeling that's the way it will end too....

[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' post='162340' date='Mar 23 2008, 07:52 PM']Just over an hour to go on Ebay with 29 people watching it.

I have a feeling that's the way it will end too....[/quote]

"Well whats the recipe today jim?" ...... :huh: .........a has it gone Bump!

[quote name='MB1' post='162628' date='Mar 24 2008, 01:56 PM']MB1. :)
"Well whats the recipe today jim?" ...... :huh: .........a has it gone Bump![/quote]

Ended with 34 people watching it (and laughing gleefully obviously). 6 offers, but nothing over £1000. I'd let this go for £1,050 plus postage, but I've relisted it and will see if I get much joy.

Don't you hate the "I love this bass but can't afford £1,100. Would you accept £500" questions?

MB1. :huh:
Just goes to show with the Evilbay, doesnt matter how many people are watching.Have to admit though i do sometimes watch stuff to judge the market too,maybe all these people had a 76 under the bed and were waiting to see what you got for yours? :) .I would have seriously gone with the tombboy anniversary ray if that was a serious offer,However you knows best!.
I was not one of the 34 !by the way! ;)