Why become a member? ×

Ampeg pf500 to replace my svt3?

bozzbass

• 3 months later...

Guess i spoke to soon, mine started cutting out on saturday nights gig after 4 numbers. Then the red peak light came on, but no fault or thresh lights. Had to turn gain and volume down under half, for it to start to not cut out. In desparation i plugged in my sansamp and turned up the level on the pedal to re gain some volume. Didnt have anymore issues. Tried it on monday same thing happened again. Now sent back to the shop i bought it from, who have as yet not found a fault with it.

I'm in exactly the same position mate.
I've got a Barefaced Super Twelve arriving tomorrow - replacing an SVT 410 HLF and now I feel the need to move on my 3pro. But, have no idea why!?!?
I use a Sansamp RBI too so, I'm gonna go back to basics. Svt on its own 1st and only add the sansamp if I really need too.
I like the idea of a PF500 though....

I`ve had my PF500 since about May last year, and not had any problems with it at all.

I`ve read on Talkbass about some poor quality control issues on the early batches of these, but am surprised some are still coming through with problems.

Still looking to change out my MB2 for a PF500,but was waiting for the dust to settle on these faults.
Thought it had![quote name='buff' timestamp='1326998967' post='1505046']
In desparation i plugged in my sansamp and turned up the level on the pedal to re gain some volume. Didnt have anymore issues.
[/quote]
Now this to me suggests it`s the pre-amp stage that`s the problem,because using the pedal gain allowed you to pull the Ampegs gain pot right back and feed it a hotter signal to start with.
I reckon less input gain and more master out is the way to go with these.Regardless of the compressor.
MM

Edited by Monckyman

Monckyman, if you don't mind me asking, how comes your looking to swap a LM2 for the PF500?

I'm considering both at the moment and kind of saw the PF500 as a 'not as good, but could buy it new for the same money' sort of purchase.

Hi C88. I love my Markbass, it`s utterly reliable,fits in my bag with a laptop, notes, cables and is a great platform for all sorts of pres and pedals etc.
But..
I like Ampeg stuff, and was curious to see if the PF could match my larger pre and amp rig for tone and tubeyness etc.
If it could, then I`d prob sell the heavy stuff on and save my vertebrae and suspension.
If the PF350 had the compressor,EQ and headphones the same as the 500, I`d already own one as I don`t really need 500watts.
As far as I can tell from reviews here and on Talkbass, the tone and power of the amp aren`t in doubt,and the musicality of the sound gets a lot of love here and the U.S, but the intermittent fault with cutting under load is worrying.
The clues all seem to point to overloading the front end and causing a safety shutdown.But it`s not consistent across all the amps, a lot of people have no problem at all with it,so I`m thinking it may be accented by how you use the gain structure.
Lozz seems to have avoided this totally :)
I can recommend the Markbass as a lovely stable powerful platform, but if like me you want dirt or tube,and you`re mainly playing indie/alt/rock as opposed to jazz and funk I reckon you`ll need a pedal or two for that 3d harmonic thing.

Edited by Monckyman