Why become a member? ×

Shaftesbury Semi Acoustic Bass, SOLD PLEASE REMOVE

Rick's Fine '52

This is a mid/late 60's Shaftesbury Semi bass, basically an alternative to the Rickenbacker 4005. Imported by Rose Morris, still has sticker on the back of headstock.

I bought this as a project bass, as i wanted a paint spattered 4005 copy, like Mani's, but basically couldnt afford a real one, and then cover it in paint. I intended to re-shape the upper/lower horns, by adding/removing wood accordingly, i was then going to do the same to the headstock to create the 'wave' shape, (I still have the drawn templates for the cuts/fills), before painting the whole bass white, before adding the Jackson Pollock touch.

Since buying this, I've actually finished my Project using other materials, most of which were original.

The bass is complete, although when i received it, the wires from the pickups to the pots have been cut off at the pots, all still there though, attached to the pickups, ready for resoldering to the pots. As a result though, I have no way of knowing if they work.

Body is in fantastic shiny sunburst, bound soundhole, same bridge contouring as a 4005, and same pickguard, control configuration. There is one bridge saddle screw missing, although not needed when its strung. Nice low action, sounds like an EB2, slim neck, very light bass.

Great bass as it is, re-strung, plays lovely, havent plugged it in, as the wires arent connected.

More pics available.

Good project for someone. The last one i've seen of these sold for over £400, they are pretty scarce.

I'm hoping for £250, although the market will dictate its true value of course.

I'm going to be selling it on eBay in a week or so, but thought I'd offer it to you basschatters first, in case anyones looking for one of these, or a nice summer Project??

[attachment=90551:1.JPG][attachment=90552:2.JPG][attachment=90553:3.JPG][attachment=90554:4.JPG][attachment=90555:5.JPG][attachment=100258:8.JPG][attachment=100259:9.JPG][attachment=100260:6.JPG]

Edited by Rick's Fine '52

• 4 months later...

[quote name='walbassuk' timestamp='1329579476' post='1544481']
What is the weight of the bass? I'm on the hunt for a very light bass after back surgery and I'm not that far from you in MK.
[/quote]

Its the lightest bass in the world, ever. It almost weighs nothing!

I just weighed it on my bathroom scales, and it came in at 6lb, or just 2.7 kilo's.

I can sympathise, i've undergone two rounds of spinal surgery over the past 4 years, the last being some fusion work to my lower back, not pleasant, but hopefully fixed now. I dont gig anymore, but if i did, i'd be looking for something like this for sure, superlight.

Remember its a bit of a project, as i've never actually plugged it in, due to the wires needing soldering etc (Not my strong point!).

You're welcome to come and have a look at it, no probs at all. 15mins away!

Rick

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1329949996' post='1550400']
Here's the neck dimensions;

Nut to heel = 21.25"
Nut to bridge = 30"
Nut to Tailpiece = 32.5"

Width at nut = 40mm
Width at heel = 48mm

Hope this helps?

Rick
[/quote]

Thanks for the info, have been looking for a shortscale. Will give it some thought.