Why become a member? ×

What are Westone Thunder IAs worth?

Soloshchenko

A friend is selling one as a project. It's EXACTLY like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Westone-Thunder-1A-IA-Bass-Guitar-/330616587845?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item4cfa48c645

But, the input socket has been replaced and it only has one string with no case. What do you reckon it's worth? It's in pretty good nick.

The later an slightly more interesting one. I'm picked up a few normal ones with P pickup and bent tin bridge in states for about £60-90 and clean them up and sell for £130-£150. I dunno if the funny hardware is a plus or not cause it makes it less compatible with fender type upgrades. They have sold more slowly of late, downturn I guess.

[quote name='muttley' timestamp='1317329503' post='1389671']
I've noticed eBay prices seem quite healthy. Not having ever played one, what are they like for neck dive? The body shape doesn't look like it lends itself to good balance...
[/quote]

They don't really have neck dive, but the balance takes some getting used to if you're used to Fenders. Definitely a great-sounding bass for the cash though...

B.

Westone Thunder 1A was my first ever bass back in the arly 80s - very impressive for a first bass - many of my friends were impressed with it especially as I only paid £100 for it. The pre-amp was pretty good IIRC and it didn't suffer from the dreaded neck dive in any way. I'd rather have one of these than many of the Fender look-alikes you see going for more money..

I had one and would never have sold it on had it been lighter in weight. Immense tone and solid as a rock. Necks are fantastic - 40mm at the nut but a slightly deeper profile than a Jazz. You can get a really woody P-Bass type tone on them, too. I miss mine.

I still have it's cousin, the Thunder Jet - much lighter but with the same fantastic neck - pimped with a P-Retro pre-amp and it is the mutts. Doesn't balance quite as well as the 1A - lighter body I suppose.

[quote name='cocco' timestamp='1317330346' post='1389683']
No neck dive at all. Play like lightning. More tone than you could shake a stick at. You couldn't buy a better new bass for under £400 IMO
[/quote]

Don't know about the 1A - but I've a Thunder 1 (not active) and it'd take a silly amount of money to part me from it.

Very nice neck, hot pickup (somebody once told me, or I read somewhere, that it's a Di Marzio or something. Don't know if that's true, but it sounds huge...) very solidly built, and now very naturally "roadworn" :)

I love it to bits !

My first proper bass was a 1A and the best recommendation I can give it is that the only bass I wanted to upgrade to after that was the Thunder III that I still own. To put that in context - I could have had a new USA Fender Jazz for about the same price. As with the previous post - I doubt if anyone would pay the kind of money I'd want to part with it. :)