Why become a member? ×

Newbie from North Yorkshire

concretebadger

Hi all

My name's Martin and I currently live in the rural backwater between Leeds and Newcastle. I was pointed in the direction of the forums via a work colleague and figured it would be a good place to lurk and pick up tips on bass playing/recording.

I've played guitar for over a decade but after deciding to start a home recording project a few months back I realised I needed a bass to get the thing off the ground. I'm naturally left-handed but always played right-handed guitars so when going over to four strings I took it as a chance to start learning from scratch. I picked up a left-handed MIM Fender J-bass and I'm now in the process of re-learning everything...and it's a lot of fun!

I'm pretty much a novice in bass playing but I've been looking towards the likes of Mogwai, Joy Division, Caspian and Mass of the Fermenting Dregs for inspiration. I was brought up on the classic rock faves but my own style is shoegaze/post rock and 90s alternative (I hate categorising music like this, but sometimes it's easier that way!). I'm still getting my rig together so I'm currently running the Jazz through a ProCo RAT 2 and RV-5 reverb into a Marshall valve combo that I used to use for guitar...a Sansamp D.I. or similar is probably more suitable for that, so that's at the top of my shopping list right now.

Anyhow, it's good to meet you all!

[quote name='bass24' timestamp='1317978638' post='1396795']

Watch out for the mice......:-)
[/quote]

Tell me about it ! Luckily our singer works for Rentokil so I'm mousetrapped up to the eyeballs.

By the way, if any of you Yorkshire chaps are interested the band I play in are at The Crown & Anchor in Sowerby on Sat Oct 22nd. Be good to talk bass bollocks :)

Edited by far0n