Why become a member? ×

Ampeg SVT 450

RickIronWitch

yo, i recently bought an Ampeg SVT 450 from someone on here and im having a few volume issues, the issues being its not loud enough. Its clips with the gain between 2 and 3 and even with the master almost full it doesnt have a great deal of volume, I've tried it through a Warwick 6x10 8ohms, 900 watts, a 4ohm Peavey 1x18/2x10 at 400watts and a Mesa 2x15 8ohms and nothing really seems to give it any welly. Are they normally a quiet head?

thanks in advance

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1317277184' post='1388857']
Also have a look over on Talkbass about this amp. One of the guys on there, JimmyM is an Ampeg fanatic, so there should be some threads with his comments, which will be worth the research.
[/quote]

An american you then? :)

I toured and praticed with this amp a few months back, (it was loaned to me). I am not Ampeg's biggest fan (although the traditional tone in the Sansamp pedals is great) but I must say, I could get next to no usable tone or volume from it. Even with mids boosted it seemed to struggle.

I used to take note of Jimmy's posts on Talkbass, but since his Ampeg endorsement, it seems he just bumps all the Ampeg threads, and if anyone starts to criticise Ampeg, he is very aggressive and quite rude.