Why become a member? ×

Recommendations for a beater

Jono Bolton

I'm thinking about getting a cheapo bass to tinker about with, but preferably something half decent. I've been looking at a Westfield on ebay - black, tortoise shell guard, maple neck - but I don't know if they're any good or not. Plan is to de-fret it, and replace some parts, probably bridge, pickup, nut and wiring & pots. Can anyone suggest a decent but cheap bass, preferably a Precision or Jazz-a-like.
EDIT: Maple neck is my only must for the bass, both my Fenders have rosewood and I fancy something different.

Edited by jono b

Considered it but money is too tight at the minute for spending upwards off £100 for something that's going to be for messing about with. I don't really get on with the headstock shape either. I'm looking at the second hand market really.

[quote name='The Burpster' post='160471' date='Mar 19 2008, 08:22 PM']Yamaha RBX 170.... perfect for what you want.... Mine went thru several Morphs before I let somelse have to learn with ![/quote]

Actually it's not, I dislike the shape intensely! I much prefer 'traditional' shapes including - but not limited to - Ps, Js, Musicman shapes, some Gibson shapes. There was actually one in my school, it was alright but it's not for me.

there has to be something on ebay to suit your needs... a wesley or something... for that price its never going to be a brilliant bass so i'd go more on what you like the look of most. also, have you thought about an old ibanez or cheap japenese copy from that sort of era, i dont think they reach much higher than £100 (i may be wrong, ive never really been interested in them).

Well going on what you've said so far, your two criteria are at opposite poles.....

You say you want something 1/2 decent but you wont spend more than £100 or you dont like its shape.

You cant have your cake and eat it.

You either get something you can build from and make a reasonable instrument OR you get something you like, and you may have to pay more.

If you want a Fender P shape that isnt going to be a pile of poo, you will have to start at Squire or Vintage.

Could be OK but just as likely to be cack.

I bought a brand new Westfield B1000 (P-bass copy) a few days ago for a measly £56. When it arrived, I was pleasantly surprised by how well it was put together. The only fault I can find is that the end of the frets haven't been finished off properly but a little work with a small file will soon sort that out.
I took it to rehearsal expecting it to sound cack but again it surprised me. A very usable sound indeed. Plenty of punch with loads of low end clout and a bright 'zingy' top end. It sounded so good that I swore I saw my Yamaha BB shiver with fear.
I was so impressed, I've bought another one. Andy from Wizard pick-ups is building me a Thumper which, when installed, should make it a very useful bass.

That said the RBX170 is a cracking bass too. My guitarist friend was looking for a cheap bass to 'tat about' on and managed to pick one up from Sound Control in Birmingham for only £110 (after a little haggling).

Mark :)

Edited by bassman2790

It rather depends how close you want to get to the Fender look. Aria Cats (Matsumoku era basses) are a kind of 80's take on a P/J bass and go pretty cheaply on ebay for some reason. But unless you get very lucky, the Cat aside, you're unlikely to pick up vintage japcrap of any quality for under £100 from ebay.

[quote name='lwtait' post='160525' date='Mar 19 2008, 10:17 PM']there has to be something on ebay to suit your needs... a wesley or something... for that price its never going to be a brilliant bass so i'd go more on what you like the look of most. also, have you thought about an old ibanez or cheap japenese copy from that sort of era, i dont think they reach much higher than £100 (i may be wrong, ive never really been interested in them).[/quote]

You won't get any vintage Ibanez for £100 on Ebay - these are getting pretty collectable, and the same goes for JapCrap copies in general.

If I wanted a cheap P, I'd take a punt on one of these:

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110222463010"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=110222463010[/url]

For that money, I'd expect it'll need some serious setting up, but it looks like the body's solid timber, & if the neck's OK you could replace all the hardware (if necessary) & still be under budget.

Jon.