Why become a member? ×

Kubicki Factor - SOLD

Macko1968

[b]Now Sold, thanks for all the interest and info.[/b]

OK guys, not much movement on my Cort & I need to raise some cash so I'm offering up my Kubicki factor.

This is a 1990 model from the Fender Custom Shop era. I know a few people get tooty about the Pre-Custom Shop instruments being better but I can;t see or hear it & Phil himself says he was still making the basses during the Custom Shop period. I think it's all bullhonky, I've played a few & could never tell what was & wasn't CS made. That said, it's a queer do when people are downplaying something because it was made at the CS.

Anyway, the bass is in unbelievable condition, no scratches, cracks, chips or dings - it could pass for NOS. The only thing you will find on the bass is a square on the top horn where you can see the original price sticker was on it in the shop! You won't find a cleaner 21 year old instrument anywhere. It plays & sounds superb & the drop D lever is surely the best system for sub E tuning invented. Bass comes with a well worn tweed case. Happy to ship if you can arrange a courier.

Price is £825 firm & [b]I'm not after any trades[/b]. If you've fancied a Kubicki you won't find better. Any Qs - best PM me as I'm busy at the moment.

Edited by Macko1968

[quote name='Macko1968' timestamp='1317041541' post='1385799']I know a few people get tooty about the Pre-Custom Shop instruments being better but I can;t see or hear it & Phil himself says he was still making the basses during the Custom Shop period. I think it's all bullhonky, I've played a few & could never tell what was & wasn't CS made. That said, it's a queer do when people are downplaying something because it was made at the CS[/quote]

The easy way to tell when a Kubicki bass was made is to check the preamp. If it's 18V and has 6 positions (presets) then it's either pre Fender, a crossover model (which bear the CS logo on the back of the headstock but were made by Phil with original parts and processes like the original preamp) or a post Fender. The only corner Fender cut was the preamp, though some people have complained of Fender era necks de-laminating, these reports are apocryphal at best. The preamp change isn't a deal breaker really, unless you're into passive modes. The two important modes, (active and active with boost) are still present.

Much has been made of the Fender connection. It is not as major as some make out. It was more of a commercial deal than anything, as prior to Fender you could only buy Kubicki basses direct from Phil. When he joined Fender, it was mainly to use their distribution network, and they got their logos onto the basses and made some coin. Afterall, Phil had worked at Fender R&D prior to making his Kubicki basses. After Phil got the whole of Kubicki back he just changed the preamp back and that was it!

Ah, I do love Kubicki basses.

• 2 weeks later...