Why become a member? ×

Gone! Thanks for looking

cayston

Hi all,

Here's my Fender Japan non-export 62RI for sale. I bought this bass about half a year ago from Far East Guitars in pretty much immaculate condition with no ding or scratches and limited to home use only. This bass, which I believe is vintage white/yellow colour (looks more like custard yellow) comes with matching headstock, Fender US pickups and Badass II bridge. According to John from Far East Guitars, this colour is meant to be pretty rare. I have seen few in OCR with matching headstock but not often in this colour. Electronics and frets are good, the action may be a little high but this can be sorted. I even bought a 60s style Jazz Bass stacking control plate from the US to go with the bass which was never used. So this will also be included in the sale.
The reason for sale is I just bought myself another Jazz bass and have the feeling that this won't get used as much. Not looking for trade I'm afraid. I'm ready to let it go for £650. Can also post the bass if you sort out your own courier but I'd prefer that the bass is picked up as it can be seen and tried. I live in Cardiff so local viewings are welcomed. I'm not in a hurry to sell so will only let it go at the right price.

Any questions please ask and thanks for looking!

Edited by cayston

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1316776228' post='1382658']
It's a Jap non-export special run / limited edition. The Badass is what it was given at the factory.
[/quote]

Cheers for the input silddx.

[quote name='Stacker' timestamp='1316776434' post='1382661']
Do you know if that Badass has left a 'footprint' on the finish of the body?
[/quote]

I'm not too sure really as I've never removed the bridge. Anyone knows anything about it?

[quote name='Stacker' timestamp='1316780214' post='1382746']
I've had two non-export Jazzes with matching headstocks (still have one) and neither came with a Badass. They were 2nd hand, though.
[/quote]

Like I said, they are limited run, so that is entirely understandable.

[quote name='Stacker' timestamp='1316780214' post='1382746']
I've had two non-export Jazzes with matching headstocks (still have one) and neither came with a Badass. They were 2nd hand, though.
[/quote]

the jap factory puts out all sorts of limited editions with things like badasses on. guitar emporium website used to have the odd one of the more random ones in stock

[quote name='cayston' timestamp='1316779639' post='1382731']

Cheers for the input silddx.

I'm not too sure really as I've never removed the bridge. Anyone knows anything about it?
[/quote]
The guy who bought mine did this to fit a standard bridge and mount the ashtrays. He didn't mention that it left a footprint. I would say there's a chance it would, it might be barely noticable. Depends how long after the body finish had cured the BADASS was fitted. The body is sure to have faded and there will be signs.

My personal feeling is that I wouldn't take it off to find out for someone. I think with a bass like this, it all works as intended, and if you want to buy it you take your chances, and if you want to bugger about with it after you've bought it that's your choice.

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1316781099' post='1382771']
The guy who bought mine did this to fit a standard bridge and mount the ashtrays. He didn't mention that it left a footprint. I would say there's a chance it would, it might be barely noticable. Depends how long after the body finish had cured the BADASS was fitted. The body is sure to have faded and there will be signs.

My personal feeling is that I wouldn't take it off to find out for someone. I think with a bass like this, it all works as intended, and if you want to buy it you take your chances, and if you want to bugger about with it after you've bought it that's your choice.[/quote]

I have to say though that compared to my new jazz bass (another MIJ bass with US PU and rosewood fingerboard) I can definitely hear the difference between the two. Maybe it's the wood but the one with BADASS II seems to have more sustain. I'm even tempted to buy another BADASS II bridge and put it on. But I guess that in then end it's up to the person really.

Many bass chatters have been asking if I'd sell the control plate separately. The answer is that I'm still unsure whether I want to separate the lot at the moment. I'm even thinking of keeping the control plate and put it on my new bass. Will keep you all posted regarding selling the control plate on it's own. Cheers

[quote name='Stacker' timestamp='1316787479' post='1382936']
I just dont understand why FJ issue Jazzes with these bridges: they are not period correct and, extra sustain or not, they look bloody awful. Not saying your bass is, Cayston, but I'll pass on this. Good luck with the sale.
[/quote]
Mate, let's not derail the guy's sale. But just to say, you are not the intended market, it was never meant to leave Japan. Who cares about period correct? The looks of a BadAss are subjective. FJ issues many other basses which are 'period correct', this is a limited run, a special. FJ actually have the most interesting instruments of any of the Fender companies IMO, and I think the new Fender Pawnshop and BlackFace or whatever they're called is a realisation that not all Fenders need to follow established patterns for the dull and boring westerners who like their Fenders to look the same as 60 years ago.

Anyway, let's start a new thread if this is to carry on. Our friend has a cracking Japan Fender Jazz with a matched headstock and a BadAss II. If it's anything like mine was, it will be one of the best playing Jazzes around. Stick a John East J-Retro in and you will be able to kill wild boar with it.

Best wishes for the sale, Cayston!

[quote name='Stacker' timestamp='1316787479' post='1382936']I just dont understand why FJ issue Jazzes with these bridges: they are not period correct and, extra sustain or not, they look bloody awful. Not saying your bass is, Cayston, but I'll pass on this. Good luck with the sale.[/quote]

None taken stacker. I think what Fender Japan probably thought was to try to make it more appealing to modern players that didn't find the old bridge practical. I don't think that fender japan intended these instruments to be period correct or copies of the vintage fenders. Plus fender japan is well known not have period correct parts on their instruments like decals etc.. Think the best way to put it is to see it like some custom shop fenders that have vintage style vibe to them but with 'improve' modern parts. These instruments are meant to be played in the end of the day.

[quote name='cayston' timestamp='1316788407' post='1382955']
None taken stacker. I think what Fender Japan probably thought was to try to make it more appealing to modern players that didn't find the old bridge practical. I don't think that fender japan intended these instruments to be period correct or copies of the vintage fenders. Plus fender japan is well known not have period correct parts on their instruments like decals etc.. Think the best way to put it is to see it like some custom shop fenders that have vintage style vibe to them but with 'improve' modern parts. These instruments are meant to be played in the end of the day.
[/quote]
Well said sir.