Why become a member? ×

Rockbass corvette $$ by Warwick

markmonk42

Hi all, am new here. I'm looking at getting one of these bass's, I'm a funk slap bass groover, they look and sound good on YouTube etc, any advice very welcome??? I used to own a status bass but sold it in a moment if madness and now wish to get back to playing on a budget. Thanks to all in advance! Mark.

Hi Mark,

Looks like you're after a very specific model, and as a man that has had a Custom Shop Corvette $$ and now a Special Edition model, I can tell you it's a great one to buy. The general consensus on here with Warwick Rockbass models is that if you have the cash to buy a new one of those, you are infinitely better off buying a second hand, non-Rockbass model (i.e. German made). Now a second hand Corvette $$ will cost you up to about £750 or so, which I appreciate is a lot, but definitely worth the outlay. A non-$$ can be had for around £300-400 so maybe give one of those ago.

What's your budget and where are you based?

Dan

[quote name='dc2009' timestamp='1316552255' post='1379696']
Hi Mark,

Looks like you're after a very specific model, and as a man that has had a Custom Shop Corvette $$ and now a Special Edition model, I can tell you it's a great one to buy. The general consensus on here with Warwick Rockbass models is that if you have the cash to buy a new one of those, you are infinitely better off buying a second hand, non-Rockbass model (i.e. German made). Now a second hand Corvette $$ will cost you up to about £750 or so, which I appreciate is a lot, but definitely worth the outlay. A non-$$ can be had for around £300-400 so maybe give one of those ago.

What's your budget and where are you based?

Dan
[/quote]
Dan speaks great wisdom.

There's a cracking Nirvana Black German Corvette $$ on here (he'll sell for £600, I was close but the Streamer CT came up!) although he is after a Stingray trade. A S/H Corvette Standard or Proline will blow you away too, here's one for £495 on Ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Warwick-Corvette-German-Made-Proline-bass-guitar-Includes-Warwick-Strap-/290610151361?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item43a9b6ffc1#ht_500wt_1204

Good luck, Warwicks are amazing basses, despite what some fetid types might say :)

Got to agree with Dan (edit: and silddx, beat me to it!), it's definitely a buyer's market for Warwick's at the moment - get one while you can! There are a couple for sale on here at the moment I think...

I've got a German $$ and it rocks :)

Edited by Ben Jamin

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1316553513' post='1379720']
Dan speaks great wisdom.

There's a cracking Nirvana Black German Corvette $$ on here (he'll sell for £600, I was close but the Streamer CT came up!) although he is after a Stingray trade. A S/H Corvette Standard or Proline will blow you away too, here's one for £495 on Ebay [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Warwick-Corvette-German-Made-Proline-bass-guitar-Includes-Warwick-Strap-/290610151361?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV&hash=item43a9b6ffc1#ht_500wt_1204"]http://www.ebay.co.u...1#ht_500wt_1204[/url]

Good luck, Warwicks are amazing basses, despite what some fetid types might say :)
[/quote]

A Proline is a great call, hadn't thought of that. Yes to all of what's been said here by silldx and Ben.

Get out there and try the different models if you can. Or bend some BCer's ears very nicely perhaps.

Warwicks are distinctly unfashionable at the moment, but since when did bass players know anything about fashion? :)

[quote name='dc2009' timestamp='1316554488' post='1379734']
Warwicks are distinctly unfashionable at the moment, but since when did bass players know anything about fashion? :)
[/quote]
It's weird but I truly believe that the reason for this is that Warwick's marketing strategy is all to cock and makes you feel like you haven't got anything special if you're a Warwick owner. The reality is anything but that, they are very special instruments and I think the quality is better than ever now, despite what some other people say. I have been looking at Sandberg and Mayones for my workhorse main bass, but you know what, I am drawing myself back to Warwick, I really miss my Corvette $$, it was a beast, and a very versatile and friendly one.

EDIT: Today, it's looking like I'm going back to Warwick basses, and that thought is making me happy!

Edited by silddx

Hi guys and a really big thanks for all the replies, priceless ! So no one would suggest I go with a non german made one then, as I was thinking of getting a new one, costing around £600??

Dan, I live in Essex and can source a new $$ from either the bass merchant or dv247, they both good retailers?

Any additional advice is really welcome and thank you in advance!!!

Cheers, Mark.

[quote name='markmonk42' timestamp='1316611106' post='1380343']
Hi guys and a really big thanks for all the replies, priceless ! So no one would suggest I go with a non german made one then, as I was thinking of getting a new one, costing around £600??

Dan, I live in Essex and can source a new $$ from either the bass merchant or dv247, they both good retailers?

Cheers, Mark.
[/quote]

£600 will get you a second hand German Corvette $$ in great condition. You would be MmmMental not to, I had one and they are stunning. [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/155568-ft-warwick-corvette-looking-for-sterling-trade/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/155568-ft-warwick-corvette-looking-for-sterling-trade/[/url] I hope Flex doesn't mind me saying he told me £600 for this. Give him a shot.

Got to go along with what everyone else is saying here, if you've got £600ish to spend then don't even think about a rockbass, the fact that Warwick's seem so unfashionable at the moment puts you in a great position, there's some great second hand German Warwick's floating about at the moment for ridiculous prices! I actually considered buying a brand new Korean Pro series Streamer, but then i saw sense and picked up the lovely German LX4 in my pic for a hell of a lot less than a korean one would;ve been! Result! It's a buyers market at the moment, even more so where Warwick's are concerned, so get in there while it lasts!

[quote name='markmonk42' timestamp='1316611106' post='1380343']

Cheers, Mark.
[/quote]

Hi Mark,

Absolutely. No one in their right minds is buying a new RockBass model at the moment. £600 will most certainly afford you a proper, German made Corvette $$, albeit second hand, and I have to say Flex's is a looker (not affiliated with the sale, just my opinion). Not only are you getting a significantly better bass for the same money, but provided you keep it in good condition, it won't depreciate in value particularly, if at all, whereas no one will buy a second hand RockBass off you for more than £350 (I wouldn't buy it off you for more than £250), even if it was in mint condition.

dv247 are a decent retailer, I know a couple of the guys there through my dealings with them and I've always been happy to go back to them. The bass merchant is also highly thought of, though I can't speak for it myself. Both are competitive on price, though even second hand, you'll get a better deal on here or fleecebay most likely than what they can give you.

So yes, my recommendation, and that of many BCers would be you invest said money in a German-made, second hand Corvette $$. Much better bang for your buck (excuse the pun), and you don't have to face any serious depreciation. With many fewer German Warwicks being sold these days, I'd actually imagine that these basses will appreciate in value in the years to come, as fewer of them are in circulation in good condition.

Cheers
Dan

Nothing wrong with the Korean Corvettes - my recently purchased Bubinga 4 string is testament to that - great build quality, sounds amazing, same hardware as the German ones - and i paid a shade over £400 (it's 2 years old and mint)

Don't let the Korean element put you off - from my (admittedly limited) experience - they're great.

Graeme

[quote name='fender73' timestamp='1316616905' post='1380428']
Nothing wrong with the Korean Corvettes - my recently purchased Bubinga 4 string is testament to that - great build quality, sounds amazing, same hardware as the German ones - and i paid a shade over £400 (it's 2 years old and mint)

Don't let the Korean element put you off - from my (admittedly limited) experience - they're great.

Graeme
[/quote]
The Korean models are good basses for the price second hand, but if you consider what they cost to buy new and what a German model used can be picked up for it's a no-brainer really!

Here's another mint German cracker for £600. Corvette Standards are seriously punchy and can easily keep up with the $$, don't let the Jazz pickups fool you, the active circuit is very powerful, wind up the bass boost on it and it will touch you like a m*****f***er :)

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/150571-2009-corvette-std-active-bubinga/

Edited by silddx

Cheers guys, the feedback is great, like it! Still can't decide what to do.... i will try a new one at the weekend as I have found one to test and then I'll try and find someone with one for sale near(ish) to me to see what the difference is first hand, then the old wallet will need to come out one way of another?? Thanks a million and please any more advice will be well received, especially with regard to feel and overall sound on the new Rockbass and the German older ones out there.... Mark.

Actually guys I've found this for sale, what do you think and would getting from the USA cause me issues like tax etc...?

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WARWICK-ROCKBASS-CORVETTE-4-STRING-BASS-GUITAR-SNB-/110747721802?_trksid=p4340.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DDLSL%252BSIC%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%252BDDSIC%26otn%3D8%26pmod%3D290610151361%252B290610151361%26po%3D%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D2947193723924668628#ht_2486wt_1065"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WARWICK-ROCKBASS-CORVETTE-4-STRING-BASS-GUITAR-SNB-/110747721802?_trksid=p4340.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DDLSL%252BSIC%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%252BDDSIC%26otn%3D8%26pmod%3D290610151361%252B290610151361%26po%3D%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D2947193723924668628#ht_2486wt_1065[/url]

[quote name='markmonk42' timestamp='1316648213' post='1381058']
Cheers guys, the feedback is great, like it! Still can't decide what to do.... i will try a new one at the weekend as I have found one to test and then I'll try and find someone with one for sale near(ish) to me to see what the difference is first hand, then the old wallet will need to come out one way of another?? Thanks a million and please any more advice will be well received, especially with regard to feel and overall sound on the new Rockbass and the German older ones out there.... Mark.
[/quote]

The Rock Bass necks feel more like Fenders, coated maple with rosewood boards, the recent German ones have waxed ovangkol wood necks with wenge or ebony boards, they feel more erm, woody, more organic I suppose. You get steel frets on the RBs, bell brass frets on the Germans.

Sound? It's a matter of taste. I found the Rock Bass I got could have been anything, decent sound, throaty. The German ones I've had are richer, growlly, more expensive sounding, woodier, much better to my ears, but it's all subjective. A lot of what is said about tone on here is complete bullshit because it depends what you put the bass through. It's all down to how discerning your ears are and knowing what you like.

My personal feeling is that to buy a new Rock Bass when you could get a S/H German Warwick for the same money is sheer madness. Utterly incomprehendable. But you may try both and prefer the RB. It's all down to you. We have given what facts you need to make a decision.

[quote name='markmonk42' timestamp='1316649346' post='1381063']
Actually guys I've found this for sale, what do you think and would getting from the USA cause me issues like tax etc...?

[url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WARWICK-ROCKBASS-CORVETTE-4-STRING-BASS-GUITAR-SNB-/110747721802?_trksid=p4340.m263&_trkparms=algo%3DDLSL%252BSIC%26its%3DI%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%252BDDSIC%26otn%3D8%26pmod%3D290610151361%252B290610151361%26po%3D%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D2947193723924668628#ht_2486wt_1065"]http://www.ebay.co.u...#ht_2486wt_1065[/url]
[/quote]

[color=#ff0000][size=6][b]NO[/b][/size][/color]

[size=4]Looks to me like your motivations for buying are far from tone and feel. Colour maybe? :)[/size]

Edited by silddx

[quote name='silddx' timestamp='1316611905' post='1380357']

£600 will get you a second hand German Corvette $$ in great condition. You would be MmmMental not to, I had one and they are stunning. [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/155568-ft-warwick-corvette-looking-for-sterling-trade/"]http://basschat.co.u...sterling-trade/[/url] I hope Flex doesn't mind me saying he told me £600 for this. Give him a shot.
[/quote]
[quote name='dc2009' timestamp='1316616449' post='1380421']

Hi Mark,

Absolutely. No one in their right minds is buying a new RockBass model at the moment. £600 will most certainly afford you a proper, German made Corvette $$, albeit second hand, and I have to say Flex's is a looker (not affiliated with the sale, just my opinion). Not only are you getting a significantly better bass for the same money, but provided you keep it in good condition, it won't depreciate in value particularly, if at all, whereas no one will buy a second hand RockBass off you for more than £350 (I wouldn't buy it off you for more than £250), even if it was in mint condition.

dv247 are a decent retailer, I know a couple of the guys there through my dealings with them and I've always been happy to go back to them. The bass merchant is also highly thought of, though I can't speak for it myself. Both are competitive on price, though even second hand, you'll get a better deal on here or fleecebay most likely than what they can give you.

So yes, my recommendation, and that of many BCers would be you invest said money in a German-made, second hand Corvette $$. Much better bang for your buck (excuse the pun), and you don't have to face any serious depreciation. With many fewer German Warwicks being sold these days, I'd actually imagine that these basses will appreciate in value in the years to come, as fewer of them are in circulation in good condition.

Cheers
Dan
[/quote]

I agree with buying a second hand German Warwick any day. Much better quality than the Rockbass models.

The one Flex is selling in the classifieds used to be mine and it is a damn fine bass in every way - I owned it for over 2 years and it never let me down once. Looks great, sounds great, plays great... you get the picture. I'd have it back in a second if I had the cash.

Shameless plug - if you're after a 5 string, I've got a German custom shop $$ for sale in the classifieds :) another wonderful bass there!

I have an older Rockbass Corvette (not $$ though). It's a great instrument and has become my go to bass.

Here's the but :) I bought mine S/H (brand new mine would have cost £350 approx). If I had £600 to spend I'd definitely go for a S/H German Warwick. There's nothing at all wrong with the bass I've got...well, apart from the colour :)...but if I'd had more money available at the time I would have probably bought something else. But I didn't and in some ways glad I didn't. :)

The other thing I had of course forgotten is the electronics differences on the German and Rockbass models of the $$s. The German ones are by far the better in terms of flexibility and circuitry.

I know one guy alluded to the Warwick snobbery that goes on on the forum. I don't think there is much of that at all. I'd gladly have a Rockbass model Warwick, IMO they are very solid instruments, but only at the right price! For me, given the price of second hand german made ones, the right price for a rockbass model is very low indeed.

If you have money to burn and are fussy about new/secondhand basses then a rockbass is the one for you, but it will go down in value, that is a fact. A second hand german one will set you back the same amount, but won't cost you anything like as much in the long run, if you ever come to sell it!

Just a quick side by side comparison, bear in mind you can have one or other of these basses at exactly the same price, just that the RB one is new rather than S/H:
German model:[list]
[*]US Swamp Ash body
[*]Ovangkol neck and Wenge fingerboard
[*]master vol, blend, treble, bass, passive/active push pull and a humbucker in parallel/humbucker in series/single coil switch for each pickup
[/list]
Rockbass model:[list]
[*]Chinese swamp ash/alder body (which is it, the ebay listing you linked to says both?)
[*]maple and ekanga neck
[*]rosewood fingerboard
[*]2 volumes and a tone, with a push pull for pickup splitting (i,e, one humbucking position and one for single coil)
[/list]
Add that up and IMO you get a much better bass with the german model, and being it's the same price and won't lose you money, this really seems like a no brainer to me. Especially seeing as you haven't tried them yet! I mean if you were to buy one unsighted and not like it, I don't think you'd recoup very much of the money if you'd bought a new RB model!

I know this is coming from a bloke whose $$ has a (birdseye) maple neck and fingerboard, but believe me, the ovangkol and wenge combination is most definitely where these basses are at!

Edited by dc2009

[quote name='dc2009' timestamp='1316709796' post='1381824']
I know one guy alluded to the Warwick snobbery that goes on on the forum. I don't think there is much of that at all. I'd gladly have a Rockbass model Warwick, IMO they are very solid instruments, but only at the right price! For me, given the price of second hand german made ones, the right price for a rockbass model is very low indeed.
[/quote]

That one guy is me, and this is exactly my point... you said it yourself..second hand GERMAN ones...am i misisng something, was my KOREAN Warwick not a good purchase at £450? I've now had the opportunity to A/B it with a GERMAN corvette...same spec.....guess what...no difference.

All i'm saying is, don't discount a second hand KOREAN Warwick.

I'm off for a lie down. Sorry for the rant.

[quote name='fender73' timestamp='1316767920' post='1382484']
That one guy is me, and this is exactly my point... you said it yourself..second hand GERMAN ones...am i misisng something, was my KOREAN Warwick not a good purchase at £450? I've now had the opportunity to A/B it with a GERMAN corvette...same spec.....guess what...no difference.

All i'm saying is, don't discount a second hand KOREAN Warwick.

I'm off for a lie down. Sorry for the rant.
[/quote]

Sorry, hadn't deliberately not quoted you, was just having a slow browser day, so didn't click back to do so. Honestly, as good as the basses are I wouldn't buy a Korean Warwick at that price, mainly because when I buy a bass I have to consider it's depreciation. I think a second hand german warwick bought at that price today will increase in value over the next few years, whilst the Korean equivalent will only depreciate. I would always rather buy second hand and not face a painful hit when I come to sell, than buy new and realise the bass has bled me of money all the while I've had it. Given the prices are similar, and IMO the German ones are better (woods and electronics in this case - $$ not normal corvette), I would always go for the second hand german one over the new korean one.

I'm no anti-Korean basses snob, you'll notice 3/4 basses listed in my sig are Korean, with one German bass in there.

[quote name='dc2009' timestamp='1316773482' post='1382601']

Sorry, hadn't deliberately not quoted you, was just having a slow browser day, so didn't click back to do so. Honestly, as good as the basses are I wouldn't buy a Korean Warwick at that price, mainly because when I buy a bass I have to consider it's depreciation. I think a second hand german warwick bought at that price today will increase in value over the next few years, whilst the Korean equivalent will only depreciate. I would always rather buy second hand and not face a painful hit when I come to sell, than buy new and realise the bass has bled me of money all the while I've had it. Given the prices are similar, and IMO the German ones are better (woods and electronics in this case - $$ not normal corvette), I would always go for the second hand german one over the new korean one.

I'm no anti-Korean basses snob, you'll notice 3/4 basses listed in my sig are Korean, with one German bass in there.[/quote]

Did you say 'Warwick' and 'appreciate in value' in the same post :-)

I absolutely agree about thinking of a basses value when i buy it, and maybe i'm off topic here, but i don't think my Korean bass will devalue to a point that i'll be annoyed.

Anyway, it's Friday, so lets all have a happy bass weekend

Graeme

ps..DC2009 - Your new Corvette is a stunner mate