Why become a member? ×

4 to 5 to 4

Funkydunc

Having played 4 string bass for 20 years I switched to a 5 five years ago and adjusted no problem. However a couple of weeks ago switched back to my 4 after the jack plug on my 5 went. After a couple of rehearsals had the best gig for years on Sunday night. It may sound bizarre but I found more freedom playing the 4 compared to my 5. Dunno if anyone else has found this but lookd like my 5 may be up for sale!

Dunc

I'll be selling a Yamaha 5 soon for similar reasons. It's my first bass that I actually owned because I got it on the cheap... but after the initial novelty of playing it, I found that I got on so much better with the standard 4.

Each to their own I suppose. Hehe. I just didn't want to play with an extra string for the sake of it.

An interesting point, Funkydunc.

I too went 4 to 5 to 4. Now I'm trying 6!

Is it that the grass is always greener on the other side? My main observation so far, is this. Having more than 4 strings is more fun when twiddling at home on your own, but come the gig, the number of strings is less important than the on-the-spot response to the rest of the band and audience, Same goes with gear. Play at home with gadgets and have fun, but on the night, keep it simple.

I know what you mean by 'freedom'. I call it Expression. When you can actually hear on stage all that you are playing, especially the [u]subtle things[/u], you start to want to go for 'feel' and improvising spontaneously.

I know, I know, it's nowt to do with the number of strings. BUT I can't help link Simplicity with Soul. i.e. the more stripped down things are, the more you want to get out of what you are left with.

I'll quit there, because I'm sounding like a tw*t

I may be being influenced by the fact that this gig was one of the best I can remember but I shall now try restringing my fretless 5 as EADGC before deciding whether to offload it in favour of a fretless 4.
The thing I love about music is that its a continual road of learning. Whoops now I am sounding like the tw*t!
D

This IS interesting. I also went 4 - 5 - 4 and I'm now quite happy with four strings. I suppose that's probably because;

a) I've persuaded myself that four's fine.
:) The stuff I play (covers) was originally recorded on a four. (If you know what i mean, no real low freq. stuff)
c) It's cheaper!! (The bass itself and the strings)

It's only when I'm playing along to someting like 'Animal' by Toto that I get a bit frustrated. (Fab bass line BTW - check it out)

No doubt off topic, the last five stringer I owned was a Warwick Corvette (Bubinga/Wenge). I really, really wish I'd kept that bass!

[quote name='Born 2B Mild' post='159648' date='Mar 18 2008, 02:34 PM']An interesting point, Funkydunc.

Is it that the grass is always greener on the other side? My main observation so far, is this. Having more than 4 strings is more fun when twiddling at home on your own, but come the gig, the number of strings is less important than the on-the-spot response to the rest of the band and audience, Same goes with gear. Play at home with gadgets and have fun, but on the night, [size=5]keep it simple[/size].

I know what you mean by 'freedom'. I call it Expression. When you can actually hear on stage all that you are playing, especially the [u]subtle things[/u], you start to want to go for 'feel' and improvising spontaneously.

I know, I know, it's nowt to do with the number of strings. BUT I can't help link Simplicity with Soul. i.e. the more stripped down things are, the more you want to get out of what you are left with.

I'll quit there, because I'm sounding like a tw*t[/quote]

Probably why Precisions are so popular with so many people.

[quote name='E_MaN' post='160224' date='Mar 19 2008, 01:32 PM']Probably why Precisions are so popular with so many people.[/quote]

mmm had a fumble on Artisan's new Precision last night. Nostalgia and yearnings were stirred. Can't justify another axe right now, but if these SX basses are an acceptable substitute, I might GAS on to Rondo Music for a shot of simplicity.

[quote name='Born 2B Mild' post='159648' date='Mar 18 2008, 02:34 PM']An interesting point, Funkydunc.

Is it that the grass is always greener on the other side? My main observation so far, is this. Having more than 4 strings is more fun when twiddling at home on your own, but come the gig, the number of strings is less important than the on-the-spot response to the rest of the band and audience, Same goes with gear. Play at home with gadgets and have fun, but on the night, keep it simple.

I'll quit there, because I'm sounding like a tw*t[/quote]

+1. This really makes sense to me. I've seen so many bassists in the past go over the top and lose the true essence of the music.

I've gone from a 4 to 5, and tried moving back to a 4 again but I can't do it.

The fact that I seem to have an irrational fear of playing an open string, coupled with the fact that I seem to play a lot of stuff in Eb and D means that having the low B makes some (not all) things easier.

The fact that I've been playing a 5 string at least 4 times longer than I played a 4 string for might also be a contributing factor.

But hey, if it works for you, go do it :)

[quote name='Born 2B Mild' post='159648' date='Mar 18 2008, 03:34 PM']Is it that the grass is always greener on the other side? My main observation so far, is this. Having more than 4 strings is more fun when twiddling at home on your own, but come the gig, the number of strings is less important than the on-the-spot response to the rest of the band and audience, Same goes with gear. Play at home with gadgets and have fun, but on the night, keep it simple.[/quote]
Words of wisdom.

Off topic I know, but I love playing through my Zoom at home. On the night however, I ditch it in favour of bass, compressor, amp. The only thing I don't have is a Precision, but maybe that's just around the corner :)

I'm in the process of doing exactly the same thing. Had 4's for years then experimented with a 6 before going back to a 4. Playing some stuff with my band in D meant buying a 5 which I've had for a couple of years. I went into PMT the other week, started noodling about on a BB414 and it felt....right. So now I am going back to two 4's. One strung EADG and the other BEAD. :)

[quote name='Funkydunc' post='159638' date='Mar 18 2008, 02:15 PM']Having played 4 string bass for 20 years I switched to a 5 five years ago and adjusted no problem. However a couple of weeks ago switched back to my 4 after the jack plug on my 5 went. After a couple of rehearsals had the best gig for years on Sunday night. It may sound bizarre but I found more freedom playing the 4 compared to my 5. Dunno if anyone else has found this but lookd like my 5 may be up for sale!

Dunc[/quote]

Same here. Played 4 for many years, went to 5 a couple of years ago without much trouble and loved it but wanted a P sound so switched back to 4 end of last year and find it more refreshing.
It might be down to the different neck size. Although i love my Lakland 55-01 i find my Duck Dun (with its jazz neck) so much easier to play.
I do miss the 55-01 as some of our covers are in keys that playing them meant i could just transpose rather learning to play it differently (im in two bands and although they do similar songs some of them are in different keys). like others have said, Playing a song written in E but played in D is easier on a 5 string and i do miss that low D sometimes.
I put my 55-01 up for sale last year and didn't really get many takers but now im just going to keep it as i will use it again one day.
Saves me haveing to shell out with 5 string GAS hits in a year or so.

Edited by dave_bass5

I have to say, I'm exactly the same. I bought a beautiful Lakland DJ5 a few months ago and I practise on it almost exclusively however, if I have a quick noodle on a 4, I feel I'm playing better. I've tried to analyse why without success. Maybe I'll be as good on the 5 with more practise?