Why become a member? ×

Thinking of doing the BEAD thing

Marvin

There are a couple of songs being suggested that would sound better using those very low notes so I thought about stringing my Ibanez SR300 to BEAD.

Are there any factors I need to look out for/consider? Maybe things like action, set up etc. Also with the Ibbies skinny neck are there any issues here?

I've never strung to BEAD before so was just wondering if there was anything I should sort of, look out for as it were.

I think this question is asked almost every week......

Use the bottom 4 strings of a 5 string set to get reasonable tension.

There is less tension in a bottom B than a high G, so you *may* need to loosen the truss rod slightly.

You *will* need to adjust the intonation (might find the B is pushing the end & you may need to take out the spring behind the bridge to achieve scale length).

Remember to widen - (NOT deepen) the nut slots (I had no prob going back to EADG after I did this).

You may find a bit more low mids & a little bit less bass on the EQ helps.

Enjoy.

G.

[quote name='Blademan_98' timestamp='1316341102' post='1376633']
I did this on SRX700 Ibanez. Whilst it worked (as in I got the low 'B') [b]I found the intonation all over the place[/b].
[/quote]
Even after adjusting the saddle distances? I can't see any reason why this would happen.

[quote name='ZMech' timestamp='1316341636' post='1376638']
Even after adjusting the saddle distances? I can't see any reason why this would happen.
[/quote]

I spent a fair while on it but I just could not get the intonation right.

I gave up in the end and returned it to EADG and sold it :)

Just because I couldn't get it to work, doesn't mean it won't work for you.

[quote name='Blademan_98' timestamp='1316341944' post='1376645']

I spent a fair while on it but I just could not get the intonation right.

I gave up in the end and returned it to EADG and sold it :)

Just because I couldn't get it to work, doesn't mean it won't work for you.
[/quote]

Hm what's that 5 string yamaha I see in your sig... 50 quid... seriously? (I won't buy it because I live oversees now but I guess I would if I was near you)

[quote name='geoffbyrne' timestamp='1316196688' post='1375859']
I think this question is asked almost every week......
[/quote]

...and it was me that asked it last week. [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/154449-string-tension-y-stuff/page__p__1368484#entry1368484"]http://basschat.co.u...84#entry1368484[/url]

I ended up buying a 5 string set, widening the nut slots a tad and using the BEAD tuned down to CFA#D# for a QOTSA tune. Tension was a little more so tweaked the truss rod clockwise a tad. Tried it at a gig on Saturday night and it worked a treat. Very punchy, no flappiness.

I should add though that this is a backup bass that I only use for those type of tunes. Everything else I do is on my main bass in bog standard 45-105's, so if you made a permanent move to BEAD you may well end up feeling the same as Cameron did.

I suppose its dependent on how much time you spend on the skinniest string.

Edited by hairyhaw

I have strung my 2 Stingray's BEAD,...I am currently using Fender strings ( Medium 5 string set, negating the G of course)

I had to widen the nut slightly on the 2004 MM the 97 model was wide enough.

Never had to touch the intonation or adjust the neck, had to adjust the action up slightly which doesn't worry me as I tend to dig in quite hard live.

However, I find the sound has suffered slightly, you obviously don't get that twang as you would with a standard set up.

The string gauges are ad follows...B=125, E=105, A=085, D=065.
I wouldn't recomend these strings at all, as they tend to sound dull after about five rehearsals. But it all feels quite comfortable with the gauge size

Looking at investing in a set of DR low down strings especially developed for drop tuning, or so they claim!

[quote name='Blademan_98' timestamp='1316351362' post='1376792']

Yes, seriously! I don't do 5 string :) I did try.......
[/quote]

Surely if you offer to post it, you'd sell it for a fair amount more? Hell at that price I'd gladly pay for a gig bag to be delivered to your house, and a courier to then pickup the bass from you and drop it off to me. PM me if you're at all interested?

[quote name='dc2009' timestamp='1316379509' post='1377354']

Surely if you offer to post it, you'd sell it for a fair amount more? Hell at that price I'd gladly pay for a gig bag to be delivered to your house, and a courier to then pickup the bass from you and drop it off to me. PM me if you're at all interested?
[/quote]

I just don't want to post it. I would rather let anyone who wanted it to play it first and if they wanted it to take it away with them.
Nice cup of tea available too!
Cheers
Brian